Triple Monitor iMac

Reaction score
I've got the Late 2009 model 21.5" iMac. 10,1. 3.06 GHz, 4GB of RAM, running 10.6.6.

Currently, I have one external 21.5" Dell monitor. I don't know how people can function with just one monitor... I need another..

If I were to buy the DualHead2Go DE, would I be able to have 3? Or does the combined resolution include the iMac as well? Is there anyway to run 3 (or maybe more? :) ) on the iMac?

Thanks for all your help.

Edit: External monitors are both 1920x1080.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If I were to buy the DualHead2Go DE, would I be able to have 3? Or does the combined resolution include the iMac as well? Is there anyway to run 3 (or maybe more? :) ) on the iMac?

Two ideas:

1. TripleHead2Go:

Newegg.com - Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital Edition T2G-D3D-IF

2. USB video adapter (not sure how many you can use simultaneously), and max. resolution may not be perfect:

OWC USB to DVI/HDMI/VGA Video Display (Up to... (VIDU2DVIA) at OWC

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That OWC device supports up to four devices on the Mac and six under Windows. You must have one for each monitor you want to attach it to. I am currently using one with my MacBook Pro. My current setup has my MacBook Pro screen, then a 24" Samsung attached to the display port, and a 19" monitor is attached to the OWC device.

I have been using this setup for several months now and the only issue I have had is that once in a while something crashes while the system is asleep. The system wakes and programs are running but I can't use the keyboard or mouse. It doesn't happen often and I haven't done much troubleshooting to work this out.

If you are interested in this device read the entire page Nick linked to. It mentions some Open GL limitations. There is also a display issue with some i5 and i7 Macs. There is a temporary fix listed there. Also, check out my review ATPM 15.08 - Review: OWC USB 2.0 Display Adapter

OP
S
Reaction score
If only it could support 1920x1080. That should be perfect for my MacBook, so I eventually may get one of those. But as for my iMac, I really need the 1920x1080. I ended up emailing Matrox to ask, so we'll see what they say.

Any recommendations for monitors in the $250-350 range? I've been looking at the Dell monitors P2311H, and similar ones.

EDIT: Just found This on OWCs website. Would that essentially be the same thing, but with a higher res?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If only it could support 1920x1080. That should be perfect for my MacBook, so I eventually may get one of those. But as for my iMac, I really need the 1920x1080. I ended up emailing Matrox to ask, so we'll see what they say.

Any recommendations for monitors in the $250-350 range? I've been looking at the Dell monitors P2311H, and similar ones.

EDIT: Just found This on OWCs website. Would that essentially be the same thing, but with a higher res?

You should probably just buy a Mac Pro (or a used Mac Pro)...install 4 dual port video cards...and hook up to EIGHT monitors.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score
At $999 each for an Apple Cinema display...you're going to have almost $8,000 in just the cost of the displays!;) Then the cost of a Mac Pro, then the cost of three additional video cards, then the electric bill!;)

- Nick

Ill be saving money on a tanning bed though...

OP
S
Reaction score
Okkk..

Sold my old monitor and picked up an new Dell UltraSharp 23" IPS for the insider price. By far the greatest monitor I've ever had. It for sure is as good if not better than my iMac display. Almost dropped the dough for the U2410, but it was just too much even with my discount to get 2 of them.

Will be picking up one of those USB devices and another U2311H in the next few weeks. Will post up picks if anybody wants to see. I have a 7 foot desk and it's pretty much gonna consume the whole thing, cant wait.

OP
S
Reaction score
New monitor + equipment come in next week. Looking forward to it, hopefully there won't be any problems.

If it works out all right, ill probably upgrade next time they update the models and pick up one with an i7 in it. Was considering just getting a Mac Pro, but we'll see.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New monitor + equipment come in next week. Looking forward to it, hopefully there won't be any problems.

If it works out all right, ill probably upgrade next time they update the models and pick up one with an i7 in it. Was considering just getting a Mac Pro, but we'll see.

Please let us know how things work out.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Monitor and USB -> DVI connection came in today.

Ill never go back to two monitors. Haha. It's pretty sick..

I will say that when I move a window around on the screen connected by USB it does kind of hurt my eyes a little bit. But nothing too serious. I can't tell a difference in quality between the 2 Dell U2311Hs. If for some reason it does start to bother me I might opt to go for the TripleHead2Go, but this seems to be doing good.

This is the first iMac I've seen with two externals. I'm sure there are more out there but I couldn't find any pictures.

trip_imac.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Sweet ^^^ set up mate. Still got 5 monitors to go until you top the Youtube Vid lol

Well done looks great :)

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks great...glad everything worked out. Thanks for posting an update!!!:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm glad I did it. :)

I'm really hoping that the next iMac will have USB 3.0, and hopefully they will come out with a 3.0 USB->DVI so I can watch 1080p video on it too. Haha.

Anyways, definitely would recommend this setup to anyone who wants Triples but doesn't to drop all that money on a Mac Pro.

The USB->DVI is great for internet surfing, word processing, and everything. I just keep my IM, email, calendar, etc open on that screen. It's perfect for that, the only downfall is no 1080p without issues, and a little bit of skipping when moving a window around quickly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.