How good is compressed air for under keys?/Removing keys?

Reaction score
So my macbook is brand new i just opened it like a week and a half ago and i remember not even a day after i opened it, i was using it and i happened to notice that there was some sort of something, like white small particles or some sort of debris stuck underneath several of the keys. I can see it as i am typing right now. OMG so annnoying! this macbook is too new for this! :Not-Amused:

How on earth a brand new keyboard will have this is beyond me. I am convinced it was like this from the factory. I have only ever used it in my own room and as soon as i am done using it i keep it in that little white sleeve thingy that it was originally packaged in inside of the box.

Anyways.....i've seen youtube videos where they literally pluck the keys off to clean underneath and i am kind of scared to do that. I've also read about just using a vacuum cleaner which also worries me, and then there is the compressed air which sounds kind of convincing but i dont know.

So what should i do?
I bet no one else has noticed annoying particles of whatever stuck under their keyboard basically right after opening their mac the first time right???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
I've only had my macbook pro for 6 months and I've used it anywhere and everywhere including my dad's business which sells farm equipment lol and I guess I can concur that I definitely do not even have any particles what-so-ever in my macbook.

I guess my first answer would be to take it to an Apple store and just let them take a look at it for you and explain it to them. If you're intent on doing it yourself right here and right now then I supposed my choice would be a vacuum, just be careful not to scratch anything up. If that doesn't work possibly try touching your finger in alcohol and rubbing a Q-tip on your finger, then try "attracting" the white stuff onto the Q-tip.

Althought, the first option is still the best option by far...take it to the Apple store!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Those mini vac's are ok, but I just whip the Dyson over it with a brush attachment. Never done any harm.
It's probably skin particles, it's normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kevriano is right, a brush attatchment should do the trick just fine. I've never trusted those compressed cans of air...I think they're evil, ha!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Compressed air will get some debris out, but if there's something unusual about what you're seeing, not just dust or crumbs, I'd be more inclined to have Apple look at it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks you guys for your suggestions. I tried the vacuum with a horse hair dusting brush attatched, the brush is just like too big and bulky for such small and intricate space, unless i find some sort of mini vac that has like the tiniest softest brush. Are Dysons different somehow? Maybe i'll get one! The compressed air isnt that great, and the rubbing alcohol thing didnt do much either.

I do wish i could go to apple with this but although my mac is new it is no longer under warranty cos its an older model that i bought from a family member who just never ended up opening it.

I know its not skin or anything that could have gotten under the keys just from use cos like i said before the particles where there from day one. It must be something from while it was bein manufactured and packaged. They're like these tiny little bits of something white. Its not dirt or dust.

Ugh oh well. This is what i get for being OCD perfectionist its always something dammit!!!!!!

C

chas_m

a. If you are eating near the computer, stop doing that.
b. Dandruff or psoriasis, or eczema, could be the source. It could also be pet dander (do you have cats? Cats LOVE Mac keyboards for some reason!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
a. If you are eating near the computer, stop doing that.
b. Dandruff or psoriasis, or eczema, could be the source. It could also be pet dander (do you have cats? Cats LOVE Mac keyboards for some reason!)

Warmth form the underside. They love my broadband modem too, which is quite wide and flat. Couldn't find our cat once, looked for hours, found him perched on top of the modem fast asleep.

BTW. Dyson's are no different, just the brush attachment is fairly soft, and the vacuum has a lot of power, so sucks anything loose out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
For debris that gets into small crevices I used a small sheet of paper to get it out. Something like a Post-it note. It's thin enough to get into the channel but isn't hard enough to damage or scratch up your Macbook. The thin film of adhesive on the note helps to pick up the dirt too. I have had a speck of dirt caught in the crevice around the lit Apple logo. Couldn't think of anything to try to get it out, but end up using a Post-it note. It works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm OCD about my things as well!

I have this bottle of puddy-like stuff and every night and about 2 times during the day I roll it across my keyboard area and it picks up every particle you could ever imagine and it always makes my keyboard look like it's never been touched by human hands!

As far as still having the stuff there...I guess if it bothers you so much, just take it to an Apple store anyways and pay to have it done; or possibly a certified Apple Repair center.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm OCD about my things as well!

I have this bottle of puddy-like stuff and every night and about 2 times during the day I roll it across my keyboard area and it picks up every particle you could ever imagine and it always makes my keyboard look like it's never been touched by human hands!

As far as still having the stuff there...I guess if it bothers you so much, just take it to an Apple store anyways and pay to have it done; or possibly a certified Apple Repair center.

hmmm...this puddy stuff intrigues me. Can you tell me more about it? I've never thought of something like that nor did i know it really exists. Where can i find it?? And ya i thought about taking it to apple and being willing to just pay. They'll probably look at me like i'm crazy though but whatever, they'll be getting my money so ya! But i would love to avoid that so im very curious about this puddy stuff you mention..

And thanks for the piece of paper idea quin, i'll try it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OP
B
Reaction score
ya i did search it. i wonder though if i could find it at a normal store though..and from what i've seen of it online i really wonder how good it would actually be to get under the keys. Obviously it will clean like perfect around them but i'm worried about under.

does anyone know how much it costs to get a new top case/keyboard from apple??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest removing the keys isn't too hard at all if you are that bothered. Getting them back on is a little trickier, but it's perfectly possible, they only clip on.
Certainly cheaper than buying a new keyboard. I don't know the cost's but not cheap, that's for sure.

Reaction score
does anyone know how much it costs to get a new top case/keyboard from apple??

I've seen replacement keyboards from anywhere between $250 to $350 or so just doing a quick google search. (Depending what model you have, and if you buy it to put it on yourself, of course...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My advice would be this....

If it bothers you so much that you had to post on a forum about it, then watch your videos that you talked about in the OP about taking the keys off, and go ahead and try one for yourself and see if it's easy enough. If so, do ONE KEY AT A TIME and get it cleaned up.

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" | 3.2GHz Intel Icore3 | 4GB DDR3 SDRam | 1TB Sata Drive|ATI Radeon HD 5670 512MB GDDR3 SDRAM
Good grief you've only had it a week and a half, complain to Apple and make them either replace or clean it! It sounds like it's probably just dust from the manufacture that hasn't cleaned up properly, the main question is 'is it making your keys stick?'.

OP
B
Reaction score
ok im not trying to make a big deal actually. i was done going on about it quite a few responses back but a few other ppl made further comments and suggestions that interested me and so i responded back to them. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured I'd also throw in that if you're still super concerned about it, you can get a silicone keyboard cover...but note that your keyboard serves as ventilation so they keyboard cover would affect that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.