My First Mac - MacBook Pro 15" i5 - Display Help

Reaction score
I am going to buy my first Mac tomorrow and I was looking for some advice. I am going with the MacBook Pro 15" i5 with the following specs:

Configuration
• 2.4GHz Intel Core i5
• 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
• 320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
• SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
• MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display

I was debating just going to the Apple Store tomorrow and getting the 15" MacBook right from the store. But I was thinking about getting the Hi-res display. What do you guys think? Is the hi-res screen make that big of a difference? Worth the $100 and have to wait of a week or more to get it or just go to the Apple Store and get the "stock" one?

Also will this be good enough to play some games like Counter-Strike: Source and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Sorry if these are stupid questions this is my first Mac ever and I want to make sure I like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Usually the Apple stores have high res in store that you can compare side by side with non high res.
I would call and check.
I was going to get high res until I looked at them side by side.
Reason being, more pixels, more things fit onto display, and therefore, the size of txt is smaller.
Sure, you can adjust the display, but this adjustment defeats the purpose of high res.
If you are doing serious photo editing, etc, then it worth the expense.

The MBP with handle those games well, not as well as a gaming rig, but still well enough to enjoy playing them.

OP
D
Reaction score
Usually the Apple stores have high res in store that you can compare side by side with non high res.
I would call and check.
I was going to get high res until I looked at them side by side.
Reason being, more pixels, more things fit onto display, and therefore, the size of txt is smaller.
Sure, you can adjust the display, but this adjustment defeats the purpose of high res.
If you are doing serious photo editing, etc, then it worth the expense.

The MBP with handle those games well, not as well as a gaming rig, but still well enough to enjoy playing them.

Thanks so much for the response!

I did call my Apple Store and they did not have a 15" MPB 2.4 with hi-res display in stock. :(

I am very impatient and want to get my MBP as soon as I can but I was trying to decide if I should get the hi-res. Thanks so much for your input. I may just go buy the 'stock' MBP 15" 2.4 tomorrow and say screw the $100 and the hi-res display... I can't decide...

Get it tomorrow and be super happy or order it on-line with the hi-res and wait a week... ahhhhhh! I can't decide!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.