MBP LCD Screen Humming Noise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 with 3.33Ghz 6-core, and 16GB RAM
Hi All,

I have a 2.16GHz Core Duo MBP and the LCD screen is making a humming / buzzing noise. If the display brightness is greater than 50% the buzzing stops and if it completely dark it stops, but from say 1% to 50% the buzzing gets worse the lower you go.

I took apart the screen and installed a brand new display inverter board. That helped and was good for about a week, but it's happening again. I'm trying to figure out if the inverter board I got was bad, or if it is something else, maybe the bulb, or otherwise.

Any recommendations?

Some questions to pose...
Are there any voltages, etc., to check on the boards somewhere to diagnosis the issue?

If it is the bulb, do I need to replace it or can it be tuned; are they expensive?

Anything else I might check into?

Thanks for the input.
Paras.

MacBook Pro, Model A1175, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.6.6, EFI Firmware 1.2

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't believe the buzzing is coming from either the inverter or the CCFD tube (backlight) since you changed out both. (The backlight is contained within the display assembly.) Check the positioning of the cables going from the logic board and inverter to the display. That includes the cable that carries video. There may be a grounding problem somewhere.

For layout and take apart diagrams and instructions go to iFixit: The free repair manual.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool... I will check that. The humming noise does change with movement of the LCD screen, so that makes sense. Just to clarify, I had not changed the CCFD tube; but let me check on the cable / grounding and I'll post how it turned out.

Thx. Paras.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
cool... I will check that. The humming noise does change with movement of the LCD screen, so that makes sense. Just to clarify, I had not changed the CCFD tube; but let me check on the cable / grounding and I'll post how it turned out.

OK, I just re-read the original post and you're correct. You only changed out the inverter board. After checking out the cables, if they're alright, you may in fact have a noisy CCFD. Changing out just the CCFD is a difficult job. Apple recommends a new display instead.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK... I understand, but I might try to replace the CCFD anyway... any advice?

But the humming has gotten better, so the cables may be the issue. Let me see how it's working for a bit.

thx.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK... I understand, but I might try to replace the CCFD anyway... any advice?

But the humming has gotten better, so the cables may be the issue. Let me see how it's working for a bit.

thx.

The best take apart instructions are on iFixit: The free repair manual. However, as I stated before, changing out a CCFD is a difficult task involving getting inside the display area. Keep trying to re-orient the cables to see if it makes a difference.

Reaction score
Hi,
I have same problem. It started after I took screen to tighten loose screws at both clutch hinges. And after assembling it back I have this buzzing sound. I don't know if problem lays on motherboard or if I accidentally messed smth inside screen.
Did you find out which cable was making the problem?
Thanks

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take note that you posted to a thread that's over 7 years old. The same advice given applies to you, try moving the video cables around. Also go to the website in the link given above to find out which cables are for video. Especially check the LVDS cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.