Convincing dad to switch business:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
I guess people who feel like they know it all need to ask questions time and again as well, right? right?

Anyways, I've been on my dad for about 3 months that he needs to step up his computers(as well as his typing skills) because whether he likes it or not, technology is moving fast and he can only ignore it so much.

He has some windows-based pc's that were built by a local [rip-off] company and I'm tired of them taking advantage of him so I've been showing him my macbook at home a lot lately. Just any FYI, he's definitely what I would call technologically declined. Although, he isn't easily won over with a nice looking website(Apple), meaning I still have to convince him that switching to Mac will be beneficial to him.

That's where you all[who help] come in. He wants me to "present" it to him on our projector in our theater room. I'll upload the slides that I have made up so far using all the info from Apple's website and I was gonna see what you guys could add in as some pointers.

I'm wanting to get him to integrate new iMacs/time capsule/and iPad/MAYBE iphone

Here's what I got:

Apple computer presentation.pptx

it's a .pptx

Reaction score
Hi

If you want him to switch his business, you might want to find reasons beyond the OS. What is it that will be benefiicial in his specific case?

You've mentioned general points, but nothing that would specifically benefit your dad. There's no point in switching just for the heck of switching.

Also, your presentation has a LOT of text, and could use some images or screenshots.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i thought about that, but he's not like hardcore making me present to him...so I'm just gonna do a lot of hands-on showing with him while I show him my points.

Ok yeah I didn't want to post too much in the first post lol when people see a whole lot of text they seem to go all TLDR on me lol.

Well for one, his PC takes roughly 4.5 minutes to boot every time he comes in, and from sleep it takes about 1min(way too long obviously). He is charged roughtly 5,000$ a year in MAINTAINCE and REPAIR(wayyyyyyyyy toooo much)

I don't want to write a book so I'll try to write down some small points on reasons why I think he should switch.

First of all, I should show you his site lol: H.G. Violet Equipment He would have 6 desktops in total, and possibly need one laptop.

-Clearly the speed of his computers are awful, and repair/maintenance bills are too high

-He doesn't know how to use windows(doesn't know how to search through his computer, doesn't know how to use change settings on his computer and he's always frustrated in general. But when he uses my mac, he never curses at it and always enjoys it..so clearly there's something there with him.

-They are yelling from doorway to doorway trying to get phone numbers/contact information; information about a certain client; information about a certain

-I want to sync contacts between company computers with Contacts

-Calendar events with iCal so he doesn't get mad at someone when they don't tell him someone is coming in

-the iPad 2(when it comes out, we all know it'll have a camera) to take pictures and send them straight from the iPad to his customers when they ask for it. Rather than being asked, driving back to the shop, take the photos, go back to the shop again, ask the secretary to upload them, email them to him, so he can email them to his client.

There's a few more points, but I'm really just looking for points and tips on some better ideas for the power point, so I hope thats enough information. I'll be glad to answer any questions though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
One of the initial concerns many "Windows" computer users have...AND your dad as a business owner (I assume)...is you have to talk "dollars & cents".

So three important things to focus on are:

- initial equipment cost
- what's the cost or what's the "learning curve" going to be making the switch
- what are the ongoing costs going to be (maintenance)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Nick is right,
What's in it for his business ?

The presentation is too technical for a business decision maker.

Indicate the costs for hardware, software, implementation, training, & maintenance.
Map this out for the next 4 years, indicate one-off costs and recurring costs.
Map this against the cost of not switching.
Even if there are no direct cost savings ... is there any cost avoidance.
Indicate the topics for attention, like document formats when communicating with his business partners.
How are you going to transfer data from one platform to another and will it require data re-mapping and associated testing. ( spreadsheet macro's etc... don't underestimate this )

Once you map that out, you will have a case that will have the attention of decision makers.

Cheers ... McBie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
- what's the cost or what's the "learning curve" going to be making the switch
- what are the ongoing costs going to be (maintenance)
If I were a business owner, who was averse to technology, these would be my first two questions. If I've only ever used Windows, is the learning curve going to be worth it especially since I'm sure that your dad probably uses the computer in a limited way (a few business applications perhaps?. Are those apps available for the Mac or equivalents that are reasonably priced and easy to use? Perhaps the more important question is can your dad's business easily migrate over to the new apps/OS?

As for maintenance, can your dad get easy access to maintenance? It might be harder and more costly if there are fewer people in the area who can maintain his Macs.

I know I asked more questions than you probably wanted but you should consider them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Indicate the costs for hardware, software, implementation, training, & maintenance.

"McBie" mentioned one VERY important part that I forgot to mention & that is software! Depending on what software & software packages your dad/business use...it's not uncommon for software to be a VERY large part of the conversion from Windows computers to Mac's.

Of course don't forget to mention that Intel Mac's are MUCH MUCH better than Mac's were 5 years ago being able to run Windows in emulation (Parallels, VMware fusion, etc.)...or natively via bootcamp.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Of course don't forget to mention that Intel Mac's are MUCH MUCH better than Mac's were 5 years ago being able to run Windows in emulation (Parallels, VMware fusion, etc.)...or natively via bootcamp.
If the dad has to use Windows to run some essential software, you've got to ask whether or not it's valuable to migrate to the Mac.

Perhaps this question would be better answered if we knew what software your dad used and/or the industry that he is in.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot for that guys...I'm going to do as best as I can do get some numbers put together in this for him. As far as software, I'm going to go down and see what all software he runs now and see how much, if any, is on mac and what is not...and what the alternative to that software is and how it would transfer over.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know mainly he uses Quickbooks more than anything else. Quickbooks and he has an exchange server for his mail.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is QuickBooks for the Mac but having never used it, I can't speak to the quality. As for Exchange, Mail has support for Exchange 2007 servers so that would be easy assuming he uses 2007. There is of course Outlook for the Mac but that will require your father to purchase new Office licences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp
Well i thought about that, but he's not like hardcore making me present to him...so I'm just gonna do a lot of hands-on showing with him while I show him my points.

Ok yeah I didn't want to post too much in the first post lol when people see a whole lot of text they seem to go all TLDR on me lol.

Well for one, his PC takes roughly 4.5 minutes to boot every time he comes in, and from sleep it takes about 1min(way too long obviously). He is charged roughtly 5,000$ a year in MAINTAINCE and REPAIR(wayyyyyyyyy toooo much)

I don't want to write a book so I'll try to write down some small points on reasons why I think he should switch.

First of all, I should show you his site lol: H.G. Violet Equipment He would have 6 desktops in total, and possibly need one laptop.

-Clearly the speed of his computers are awful, and repair/maintenance bills are too high

-He doesn't know how to use windows(doesn't know how to search through his computer, doesn't know how to use change settings on his computer and he's always frustrated in general. But when he uses my mac, he never curses at it and always enjoys it..so clearly there's something there with him.

-They are yelling from doorway to doorway trying to get phone numbers/contact information; information about a certain client; information about a certain

-I want to sync contacts between company computers with Contacts

-Calendar events with iCal so he doesn't get mad at someone when they don't tell him someone is coming in

-the iPad 2(when it comes out, we all know it'll have a camera) to take pictures and send them straight from the iPad to his customers when they ask for it. Rather than being asked, driving back to the shop, take the photos, go back to the shop again, ask the secretary to upload them, email them to him, so he can email them to his client.

There's a few more points, but I'm really just looking for points and tips on some better ideas for the power point, so I hope thats enough information. I'll be glad to answer any questions though.
As you said about the really expensive repairs. Many macs come with great warranties. You can bring them into a local apple store and they fix it for free until the warranty is over. the apple stores also have a deal where you can come in and ask questions about 10 times to get help on how to use your mac and etc. Thats about $100 but they are very helpful and nice. Finally, macs are much more user friendly and easier to use than windows. You dad will have a much more easier time setting things up for business on mac.
I would say macs are more of a business computer anyways, they just seem more professional.
If you dad really is in love with windows you can always use bootcamp or parallels to use windows on mac.
Most if not all newer macs have built in microphones, no shouting in his workplace anymore. :)
Hope this little bit helped! :)
nicecrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
There are people out there, whom I like to call, "computer minimalists." By that, I mean they don't care about computers as much as our generation does, wanting the newest and greatest as they roll out. For them, as long as they get done what's needed to get done, they don't care what they use. I don't see the real need for him to switch, unless the company you brought is giving you problems related to that computer, or if a new Macs will increase his income.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp
Thats very true, what ever gets you through the day. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But for him he has (over a few lunches) talked to me about how he realizes that more and more traffic and business is coming through on his website(i saw this on your site...craigslist...ebay...etc) and I don't want him to fall behind the 8 ball with other companies around here who are actually a bit ahead of him, because we know them and I've seen a little bit on how they operate. He has what I guess I'd call "communication breakdowns" all the time because the secretary didn't do this, or this guy didn't update this order or he doesn't have this contact..

Also when you mentioned the microphone, it just dawned on me and i was curious if there was an intercom application for the mac...that would actually be very very convenient.

As for all of the major questions you all have asked, I will have to wait to get more information about those until Monday. He's flying down to texas for a meeting.

I know it's a whole different world than what all of us computer-oriented people are used to, but my dad is actually somewhat of a bigshot in terms of sales for farm equipment/lawn care. The trip to Texas is for a company named Cub Cadet that always consults with him on sales since he is one of their biggest salesman.

He buys and sells as far as California/Texas/Washington and we're located in Ohio. He's at work roughly 90 hours a week and I see a lot of benefits with Mac and "keeping things in sync" for him so he can be away from work without truly being away from work...

Especially when he would like to be out in his truck more but he is always attatched to his desk for his computer, I could think of quite a few different scenarios in which certain things would be beneficial.

Hardware cost isn't going to be tough to convince at the moment because he's already looking into getting all new computers and he's been wanting to for about a year. Also I'm currently about to re-wire all of his networking with new cat-6 cable and install some AP's throughout his shop for better signal quality.

Please keep the comments coming because I really do appreciate the help, and I'd love to let you guys know how this breaks down as well as turns out!

Also i really wanted to point out, as far as a learning curve and his 5 employees(6 including him) needing "assistance"...

I start school in about 7 months, and I have 2 hernaited discs and 2 bulging discs in my back and im "out of order" for about 5 or 6 months according to the MRI, the doctor, and the physical therapist. Although I can still walk so clearly I could be down at my dad's business every day, all day making sure operations run smooth and do more of his tech-support for him rather than him paying about 100$ minimum every time they need help and someone from the computer company has to come over to fix it.

Again, thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.