disc repair

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am unable to repair my hard drive (I have a macbook pro). I am missing the installation disc, so I tried to invoke the command fcsk -fy as suggested by Apple. However, fcsk executes and does not output anything, but the disc utility software tells me that the hard drive needs to be repaired because there are inconsistencies.

Do you guys know how to fix this?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You NEED an installation disk...since the hard drive cannot be repaired when the computer has booted from it. The computer needs to "unmount" the hard drive to do the repair.

To get an installation disk...two suggestions:

1. Go to your nearest Apple Store & purchase an OS 10.6 Snow Leopard install disk for $29.
2. Call Apple at their 800 number...and ask for a replacement set of recover/install disks for your model computer. It usually costs $15-$20.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I don't understand why fsck isn't working. It should repair the drive, unless it's failed.
How are you instigating it?
Are you booting to single user mode and then letting the text load, typing fsck and then letting it run through it's process?
Unless something is very wrong it will always output text.

OP
R
Reaction score
I ran fsck in single mode and it worked. However, I keep trying to use bootcamp to install windows, and it says that the disk is damaged, though fsck apparently fixed it...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Post the "exact" error that Boot Camp is giving you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.