Can't shut down. Please help!

Reaction score
I'm using a 13" 2010 MBP. It won't seem to shut down. I can select shut down from the menu and the power button shows the shut down option, but when it powers off, it cycles right back on. Same thing with sleep. I've reset both the PRAM and SMC with neither one doing any good. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Force shut down the machine by holding the power button for about 6 seconds (or until it powers off). This should keep it off. Turn it back on let it load and shutdown like normal again. See if it solves your problem.

- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
It will only shut down via physically pressing and holding the power button. Once I turn it back on, and try to shut down again, the same thing happens. I've also tried repairing permissions with both disk utility and onyx...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Do you have anything checked in sharing under system preferences and does this still happen if you are disconnected from the internet?

OP
S
Reaction score
Nothing is checked under system preferences and I turned off Airport. Still reboots after shutdown/sleep. Also, I don't know if this is a related issue, but I just found out that if I hold the power button to shut down and reconnect the AC adapter, it starts up without me having to press the power button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would take it to an Apple Store and let them check it out.

OP
S
Reaction score
I would take it straight to an Apple Store, but unfortunately for me, the closest one is about 6 hours away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.