Running Microsoft on Mac

Reaction score
Hello to all! :Smirk:

I'm new here and am in need of assistance. My friend recommended me download a game online, but frankly it is a Window's exclusive game. I heard that there are two apps I can download that will run Microsoft, but as to which I am not entirely certain. One is Bootcamp though. But this is not the point of my post. My question is how is the best way to use Microsoft running apps on my Mac? Is there any safe ways? I am not too experienced with Microsoft computers, but I know how they are notorious for viruses. So are there any ways to protect my new Mac from viruses when using these programs? Or am I worrying for no reason?

Thanks in advance for the replies! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If you want to run a game then you should use Boot Camp since it will run at full speed when using Windows. Read this Mac 101: Using Windows on your Mac via Boot Camp to learn about it. If you have a new Mac then Boot Camp should be already installed on your computer.

The other way to run Windows on your Mac is through software such VMware Fusion or Parallels. The problem with those applications is that you are running both Mac and Windows at the same time which means your computer will be slower for demanding software like games. You can actually have both Boot Camp and one of these applications installed and pick which one you want to use. Boot Camp is free but Fusion/Parallels cost money. Also all three will require you have a copy of Windows.

When you are using Windows you do need to protect yourself from viruses and other Windows problems. Some people don't think they are running Windows when it's on their Mac but yes it's really Windows so you need to take all the precautions necessary. Although if all you are doing is playing your game in Windows then your chances of getting a virus is pretty low. It's when you use Windows a lot to access the internet or share files with other Windows users you'll increase your chances of getting a virus. Either buy an anti-virus software or use the Microsoft free one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.