can log in as root, can't su

iyc

Reaction score
I've recently had to install an application on my macbook air that required root. I didn't really want to enable root to do so. My current user is listed as Admin. I can enable root, and log in as it, and I can then "su" successfully. However, if I disable root on the MBA, I can no longer "su" - it prompts me for my password, but then when I type the root password it comes back "Sorry". When I type my own password: same thing - "Sorry". Queue "waahh waahhhh....." music.

Does "su" require a password that's different than both the current user and root?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

`iyc

PS - I can do the above behavior with no problem on my macbook pro. same os version.

Reaction score
Actually, you want to use 'sudo'. Doesn't require root, just your admin password. Works the same.

OP
I

iyc

Reaction score
Thanks! That works. Just a follow-up, out of curiosity: if I enable root and sudo su I can sudo su. If I disable root and sudo su, I cannot sudo su. However, it's possible on my other machine. My question is: is it possible to set up a superuser without enabling root?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
superuser = root. When you use sudo to execute something, you are executing it with root privileges. Therefore, you shouldn't need to enable the root user. Instead, stick with sudo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.