Having some major problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.
So I booted up my MBP today, it took literally 3 minutes to get to the desktop and at least 2 to even get to the login screen.

Done a restart to see if the same thing would happen again, it seemed ok the second time.

But I've noticed a lot of programs seem to be freezing, seemingly for no reason.
This with only mail, safari and trillian open. :(
It's totally random as well, I'll be opening a bookmark on safari when it only has two windows open and i'll get that annoying coloured circle spinning around for 10 seconds before it does anything.

If I try to open say firefox in the interim it bounches like a dozen times before it does anything.

I thought the freezes and slowdowns I was getting yesterday were just because I hadn't rebooted the computer in a few days, but apparently not.
And apparently it's worse now.

It seems to be very random and not even related to how many programs I have running.
Is this a common issue or is my computer borked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Is your HD very full?
If not, it could be a failing HD.
Meanwhile, I would run a permissions repair.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HD isn't even nearly full, only got the computer a week ago and about 30 GB of 250 is used.

What's a permission repair and how do I run it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
What's a permission repair and how do I run it?
Rather than go into too much detail, I will just give you a link to that question.
About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature
Best way is to boot from the install disc (holding C as soon as you hear the chime until you see the spinning gear.)
Select language, continue, then in the menu bar, select utilities, disk utility, and select your HD at the top of the left column.
Select repair disk permissions.
While you are there, select repair HD.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went into utilities and I'm running the permission repair thingy(without booting into it).

So far it's found literally thousands of permission error should be 0 is 80 etc
And it's also found lots of 'open errors'. :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There will be a bunch of errors that will claim to be repaired, but will come up every time.
They are know as "safe to ignore."
I would still follow my above recommendations if this doesn't make things better.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol so after an hour of it finding things apparently needing repaired, i set it to repair disk permissions.
Screen saver came up after i left it for 10 mins, put in my password and it's been saying "checking password" while the little wheel spins for the last half hour. :Not-Amused:

"It just works". :[

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so it found the volume to be 'corrupt', rebooted from the startup cd and it's 'repairing' the HD now.

I don't get it, how can it be corrupt when I got it brand new a week ago and only installed like 7 programs, 6 of them from the app store, the 7th being firefox?

What did I do wrong?

EDIT- it said something about and invalid node structure.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok so it found the volume to be 'corrupt', rebooted from the startup cd and it's 'repairing' the HD now.

I don't get it, how can it be corrupt when I got it brand new a week ago and only installed like 7 programs, 6 of them from the app store, the 7th being firefox?

Don't take the terminology so literal. It's just a term used to describe the situation. What other sort of "Politically Correct" term would you rather be used???;)

Basically your hard drive needed some "maintenance"...that's why the "repair" feature in "Disk Utility" exists. Otherwise...why have it.

Hopefully the Disk Utility "repair" will take care of things...but it is always possible that the hard drive could be faulty in some way (not everything is perfect)...in which case you will just have to go back to the Apple Store...and they will probably replace the hard drive free of charge.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now it says "disk utility cannot repair the disk, back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk and restore your files."

img0007md.jpg

http://img263.imageshack.us/i/img0007md.jpg/

Really? A one week old MBP?

Ok so er, I done it again, insted of choosing macintosh HD i chose the toshiba one, and it 'repaired succesfully', how weird.
I'll see how it goes now, I hope this isn't something I need to do very often.

EDIT again- So it wouldn't let me select a startup disk, I restarted now it's just at the little spinning logo screen.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really? A one week old MBP?

Like I mentioned. It's not about how old/new your MBP is...it's the fact that maybe this hard drive had something wrong with it when it left the factory. All manufacturing operations have Quality Assurance departments & checks...but that CERTAINLY doesn't mean that 100% of everything that leaves the building is PERFECT!

That's why manufacturers have warranty's...and why Apple includes 12 months of Applecare with each computer...to cover any manufacturing defects.

Try doing what Disk Utility suggests (back up files & reformat the HD). If that doesn't take care of the problem...then contact Apple.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no means to back up anything, and it won't get past the boot screen now even with the install dvd inside.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no means to back up anything, and it won't get past the boot screen now even with the install dvd inside.

Since you only purchased this computer about a week ago...do you really have much of anything to backup?

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you only purchased this computer about a week ago...do you really have much of anything to backup?

- Nick

Not really no, but it's a pain reformating anyway.

Ok so i can still get into the disk utility, verify it and it says the disk is 'ok'.

How do I boot into the OS now?

Nevermind, I selected the mac HD as the startup disk and it's just stuck at the boot screen forever.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really no, but it's a pain reformating anyway.

Reformatting really is not a pain. I just reformatted 6 hard drives today...and it takes well less than 1 minute each to do the reformat.

Ok so i can still get into the disk utility, verify it and it says the disk is 'ok'.

How do I boot into the OS now?

If you didn't erase & reformat the HD (and if you booted from the DVD)...there should be a "control panel" in one of the drop-down menus called "Startup Disk". Open "Startup Disk", select your HD...and restart/reboot the computer.

If you did erase & reformat the HD...then you will need to reinstall the OS from your gray disk DVD #1.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried selecting the HD as the boot drive, and it just refuses to boot up, so I'm going to try a reformat now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried selecting the HD as the boot drive, and it just refuses to boot up, so I'm going to try a reformat now.

Good luck...don't forget you will need to reinstall the OS as well.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup it's doing that now.

It seems to be going ok, I might replace the HD myself tomorrow since there's no apple stores near me in scotland.

I just can't see why it'd even install if there's something wrong with the HD, and if there is something wrong with it i'm fighting a losing battle trying to install the OS anway. :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems to be going ok, I might replace the HD myself tomorrow since there's no apple stores near me in scotland.

Hey...you're supposed to say that a lot sooner...rather than letting me "rattle" on about taking your computer back to the Apple Store!;)

I just can't see why it'd even install if there's something wrong with the HD, and if there is something wrong with it i'm fighting a losing battle trying to install the OS anway. :(

The OS will always reinstall if you tell it to. And yes...if the hard drive is already a "hopeless case"...I agree...you're probably fighting a losing battle"!:) But at least you didn't give up without a fight!:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help anyway. :)

Os is back on and i'm putting the apps on from the CD.

Is there any other reason than a bad HD that this sort of thing might happen, bad install of the OS by the factory perhaps?

Because any hint of a bad HD and i usually replace it myself anyway, so as not to lose anything important.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.