iPhone wont go in DFU or recovery mode

Reaction score
Hello.

I have an iPhone 3G that has been working fine, until I decided to erase all data and, well, to put it to the factory state.

Now it wont get past the Apple logo. Few minutes after the logo, there's a swirling circle (loading).

Won't enter DFU mode, or recovery mode. And I have tried everything, and I mean everything...

I've reseted the phone several times before, but now it's just stuck. iTunes wont recognise it. Other people take's few second to enter DFU or recovery mode. I've been pressing sleep, home buttons for several hours, dozens of times, keeping them pressed for up to 20 minutes!

I might shoot a video of this, since no one has encountered anything like this (every guy/gal having this problem, solved it by DFU or recovery, which does NOT seem to work for me).

Please help me :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Sometimes they get stuck, particularly if they've been jailbroken and you've done extensive mods to them. Let it sit for a few hours with the Apple logo showing, particularly if the circle is swirling. Sometimes, they'll sort themselves out and reboot on their own.

If that doesn't work, keep trying to enter DFU mode. Don't get impatient with it. Try it only once every few minutes. It's easy to get frustrated and keep pushing buttons, which only makes the situation worse.

You might try downloading Redsn0w and using the timer built into their JB process to make sure your timing is right with the button pushes to enter DFU. Not sure if you can get to the Limera1n or Greenpois0n DFU timing screens without a working firmware, but they only take a minute to download and try.

Also, you might trying downloading Tiny Umbrella. It has a button labeled 'enter recovery'. I've never needed to push it, and hope not to, but it may be able to force it into recovery mode.

The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

If it's still under warranty, take it to the Apple store. I had a 3gs that got stuck in recovery mode and iTunes couldn't recognize it. They tried to restore a couple times and then swapped it out for a new one, no questions asked. If you do get a new one, leave it in the plastic and sell it on ebay for some ungodly amount of money and use the funds to pay for a new iPhone4.

If it's not under warranty, keep patiently fiddling with it, and it will eventually pop out. Once it does and you restore, it will be fine.

OP
C
Reaction score
Sometimes they get stuck, particularly if they've been jailbroken and you've done extensive mods to them. Let it sit for a few hours with the Apple logo showing, particularly if the circle is swirling. Sometimes, they'll sort themselves out and reboot on their own.

If that doesn't work, keep trying to enter DFU mode. Don't get impatient with it. Try it only once every few minutes. It's easy to get frustrated and keep pushing buttons, which only makes the situation worse.

You might try downloading Redsn0w and using the timer built into their JB process to make sure your timing is right with the button pushes to enter DFU. Not sure if you can get to the Limera1n or Greenpois0n DFU timing screens without a working firmware, but they only take a minute to download and try.

Also, you might trying downloading Tiny Umbrella. It has a button labeled 'enter recovery'. I've never needed to push it, and hope not to, but it may be able to force it into recovery mode.

The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

If it's still under warranty, take it to the Apple store. I had a 3gs that got stuck in recovery mode and iTunes couldn't recognize it. They tried to restore a couple times and then swapped it out for a new one, no questions asked. If you do get a new one, leave it in the plastic and sell it on ebay for some ungodly amount of money and use the funds to pay for a new iPhone4.

If it's not under warranty, keep patiently fiddling with it, and it will eventually pop out. Once it does and you restore, it will be fine.

I left it on my desk for the night, (about 12 hours) and when I woke up, it was the same. Before going to bed I hooked the phone to the charger, else it would have run out or battery.

And the swirling logo isn't actually swirling, sorry if I gave that impression. It comes just about two minutes after the Apple logo and it's static, the swirling.gif is static, not spinning around.

And yes, I've noticed every 20-30 minutes the screen flashes and the phone boots. It looks like it's going to boot to OS, but then the static swirling image comes...

I live in Finland, and we dont have fancy Apple Stores like you do :) And this one doesn't have any warranty left, it's over two years old.

I downloaded that TinyUmbrella, but the buttons weren't clickable, dont know why.

EDIT: I tried redsnow few times, and it's really hard, because it says that the phone should be OFF, and this phone is trying to boot like 99,8% of the time... It gives 30 seconds to press the home button to enter DFU, and other times when i've done this, it took 4-5 seconds, now the whole 30 seconds goes, and it says that I did it wrong, and that I should consult google or other forums.

I also tried pwnage tool, and it went fine until it said the iphone to be connected to the computer. It didn't recognize it, and it was connected the whole time!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.