Installing Snow Leopard TO an external HD

Reaction score
I've searched a number of threads...didn't see my issue addressed.

I'm running an intel iMac (the white one).

I bought a new 1TB HD, which I plan to eventually replace the original internal 250GB HD with.

I cloned the internal drive (Tiger) onto the new 1TB drive, running externally via USB. Prior to cloning, I formatted/partitioned the drive with 1 partition, using the GUID Partition Table. I used CCC for cloning. I can boot from this drive, no problems.

Here's where I guess I'm missing something.

I want to upgrade the OS to Snow Leopard. I want to do this on the clone sitting on the external drive, not the internal drive. When I attempt to do this, I'm prompted to repartition using GUID Partition Table (which I had already done before I cloned). Obviously, this will erase the clone, and install just Snow Leopard.

What I'd like here is simply this: to have my OS upgraded to SL on this external HD, and use the external drive as my main drive for a while, to make sure I have no OS problems, and to make sure the HD doesn't have an early failure. Eventually, I'll swap out the internal HD for this one.

So, where am I screwing up here? :Not-Amused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.