Windows - MS Office - auto save

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Figured someone here might have an answer, even if it's "just live with it".

We have one computer that is only used for a single Excel workbook.. 15-18 pages in it - each page maybe 12 columns and 600 rows long.

This is one of the 3 computers I use at work, but a total of 4 people input data into this single workbook on a daily basis - multiple times a day - this, is not going to change.

The issue - I have the autosave function turned on.

Is there a way to have the autosave turned on, but not autosave while I'm in the middle of typing and grinding to a halt for 30 seconds plus waiting for it? This is soooo annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I see 2 options: ( and I am sure you have seen them as well ) :)
a) Switch autosave off and ask all 4 people to manually save each time they changed something -> a behavioral change
b) " Just live with it "

Sorry... I couldn't resist.

Cheers ... McBie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah really, with very large worksheets and documents the autosave is going to interrupt for a few seconds. We notice it all the time especially with using Office 2010 on our PCs. The alternative of course is not to autosave and risk losing a large portion of your work if the system crashes (we're talking here about Windows not OS X).

With four people updating that worksheet, there is no way I would even dare to suggest turning it off. :Oops:

As McBie says.... Se la vie

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I figured as much. Although I work with Excel all day every day, it is very specialized and all are basically pre-formatted workbooks so I never really had to learn much more than merely to input data.

Was just sort of hoping and was reminded about it after I saw the other post about auto save this morning.

I finally got the boss to quit turning on the Windows auto update. Windows would decide to update while no one was around and reboot the system without saving the latest changes to the workbook - not a happy camper.

(Had our IT guy in for a once every year or two visit about 3 months ago. I talked to him on the side and told him we needed a router/firewall/etc. Told him to pitch it good to convince the boss. Finally got to turn off that stupid McAfee firewall. All those problems have disappeared now.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Looks like my latest reply was not posted ..

Just talked to one of our IT girls and she said there is a way to detect keyboard and mouse idle status thru a VB script in excel.
Disable autosave in excel by default.
Have the VB script detect keyboard and mouse idle status and then enable autosave.
When keyboard and mouse are in use, the VB script can disable autosave.

I am not a programmer and this may be easier said than done, but it is an idea.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.