AutoSave(?) is IRRITATING!! - MS Office for Mac

Reaction score
I hope someone can help me.

I have a Macbook 2.1 with a 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo running OS 10.5.8

My issue is this:

Ever since i began using the MS Office Suite for Mac, about every 3 minutes, if I'm idle or I'm using my external Apple keyboard, a "Save As" window pops up. If I'm in the middle of taking notes or something and don't pay attention and press enter, then it saves the file. Then I realize that the file name is different and have to save as again to name it back to the old file name and go hunting for the mis-named file.

This is very irritating. I have tried removing autosave and autorecover and that didn't do anything. None of the automator scripts seem to be related.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Lori

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So this doesn't happen when you use the MacBook keyboard? Just an external?

If that's the case I'd say it's likely a sticky/stuck CMD/CTRL key on your external that's the cause

OP
L
Reaction score
No, it happens when I use my macbook keyboard as well, but only if I'm idle, not as I'm typing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of MS Office are you using? The symptoms you describe are strange because the "autosave" feature of MS Office 2008 and 2011 are completely transparent. Since the pop up is using the "save as" feature, that is even more strange as it should just do a "save".

The only thing I can think of off hand is if you're using a template with a built in macro (Office 2004 and 2011) that is doing that. Especially if the macro is assigned to your normal template.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am using Office for Mac 2008.

This happens even if I begin a new blank document.

It can't be a macro since Office 2008 does not support them. I have no idea of what could be causing that, however, what I suggest is to completely uninstall 2008 and reinstall. Use the Office 2008 uninstaller, do not attempt to uninstall by dragging files to the trash.

After reinstalling 2008, go to update and download the patches and service packs again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into Word Preferences > Output and Sharing > Save and see what time structure is set up for saving and change it to something more manageable.

OP
L
Reaction score
I completely disabled the autosave feature and I am still having the issue.

I found a new wrinkle:

I had to install office 2007 on my Windows 7 virtual machine in Parallels 6 for a class I have. I am having the same problem when I'm working in Access there.

Note: I only have this problem in MS Office applications, but I have it in all of them.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Lori

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.