• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple hit with class-action suit after girl drops, breaks iPhone 4's glass

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do I think? It's a baseless suit brought by an angry father whose daughter can't hold on to her iPhone while texting.

It's the old blame game... blame it on the manufacturer and sue them; they have lots of money. :Angry-Tongue:

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Seriously. The amount of frivolous lawsuits is really deplorable!

Reaction score
That complaint seems about as logical as complaining that a motorcar is defective because it sinks in water, or a flat-screen TV is defective because it breaks when used as a hockey net.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Lawyers that take these sorts of cases should be strung up in the town square.

EDIT: And to speak to the toughness of the iPhone, on my 2nd day of ownership I had it in a side-leg pocket of my scrubs and when rushing down a hall (jogging) it came out of my pocket and fell directly in front of my foot as I was mid-stride. As you can imagine, I basically drop-kicked it 48 feet (I counted how many 1' tiles it traveled) down the hallway until it hit a box. It came away with the slightest little scratch on the back glass (thankfully not the front). I didn't have a case for it yet because I was waiting for the Otterbox to be released.

EDIT 2: Can't the back glass be replaced for $40 at an Apple store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
How are you meant to warn customers about *something* defective when there isnt anything defective to warn customers about ???
Is this guy serious ??!!?!?!?!?

"Months after selling millions of iPhone 4s, Apple has failed to warn and continues to sell this product with no warning to customers that the glass housing is defective," LeBuhn's attorneys wrote in the complaint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
EDIT: And to speak to the toughness of the iPhone, on my 2nd day of ownership I had it in a side-leg pocket of my scrubs and when rushing down a hall (jogging) it came out of my pocket and fell directly in front of my foot as I was mid-stride. As you can imagine, I basically drop-kicked it 48 feet (I counted how many 1' tiles it traveled) down the hallway until it hit a box. It came away with the slightest little scratch on the back glass (thankfully not the front). I didn't have a case for it yet because I was waiting for the Otterbox to be released.
This makes me think the girl dropped the iphone from a much higher height. And the amount stated is exaggerated. Nothing new there though, all lawyers bend the facts to suit their side of the story.

This makes me think even if they win, Apple will just say we'll replace the glass on every broken iphone in the lawsuit.

And two other things. Maybe Apple didn't tell us the glass housing is defective, cause maybe it is not defective. Personally I thin if it was defective, every man, dog and website would blog about the issue as was the case with antenna-gate. And antenna-gate was not even a real product fault.

I think this is just as bad as the people who buy a car, crash it in 2 days and sue the motor company for a defective car, when really it was operator error. To me it's just a case of suing for accidental damage. Any judge worth his/her salt would have this case thrown out of court.

And if anyone wonders why Apple has such a large legal team. Shite like this is why.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

Not even that much. If you break the glass, you void the warranty anyways, so just get one off of ebay for 14 bucks. Or get a cool looking one. The back comes off easy as pie! Literally! Just requires the removal of the 2 bottom screws, and then just slide and lift it off. Real easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Accidents happen but most people know any electronic device is prone to failure if dropped no matter what the casing is made of. Hence the warning label
on 99% of the shipping cartons Do Not Drop Fragile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Does this guy make his daughter drink out of plastic cups and eat off of plastic plates? There's always the chance with glass anything that you could drop it, break it, and cut yourself on it.
But to attest to the strength of the iPhone 4's glass, when it first came out there was a video of some guy literally throwing an iPhone 4 on the ground as hard as he could and it took him about 3 or 4 tries to "crack" the glass. It still didn't even shatter or come apart.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
hmm, where in the manual does it suggest that you drop it on the floor.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
If enough people drop them and they break, people will stop buying them and they will be redesigned or retired. I don't see any evidence of that, so the issue is moot. While I don't see this a warranting a lawsuit, I am glad that the internet allows instances of product problems to light. EVERY example of a product doesn't need to exhibit a behavior in order for there to be a defect or issue. Not every Prius zipped on through every red light or ran over every owner's kid. Actually, the majority of them didn't. Toyota recalled some and redesigned components when a sufficient number of current and potential consumers became aware of the malfunctions to hurt their bottom line. It's all perception, not reality. That's how it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
This article is actually funny on how dumb it is:

Apple has known for months that its industrial design of the iPhone 4 is defective but has failed to warn customers that normal use of the device can lead to a broken phone.

More specifically, LeBuhn said that he paid over $250 in September for a new iPhone 4 only to have it rendered essentially useless after his daughter dropped it from a height of roughly three feet while attempting to send a text message

Wait...so DROPPING the iPhone qualifies as normal use of the device? I never heard Apple say: (The iPhone 4 is made to be dropped!) -_- This suit is just plain goofy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
This is awesome!!! I wonder if they're related to the idiot that fell in the fountain, and is now trying to sue the mall.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
This is awesome!!! I wonder if they're related to the idiot that fell in the fountain, and is now trying to sue the mall.

How does that happen? Was he blind, or walking backwards?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
How does that happen? Was he blind, or walking backwards?

OMG! You haven't seen the video?? hahaha
Some stupid lady texting and walking in the mall walks right into the fountain. The video is of security guards watching it and commenting on it. She sued because she is a mall employee (sort-of, works at a store at the mall) and it was a mall security guard who posted the video on YouTube. The guard was fired. The lady is an idiot because she was crying like it was such a traumatic thing and thinks she's entitled to some compensation. The sad part about it is she's in court right now over stealing someone's credit card and running up $5,000 on it in the past. If she had kept her mouth shut, no one other than those guards would have known who she is and no one would have known about her legal troubles. She is using valuable oxygen that could be better used for an intelligent person/animal. (sorry that was so harsh but I have a serious lack of tolerance for stupidity)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
OMG! You haven't seen the video?? hahaha
Some stupid lady texting and walking in the mall walks right into the fountain. The video is of security guards watching it and commenting on it. She sued because she is a mall employee (sort-of, works at a store at the mall) and it was a mall security guard who posted the video on YouTube. The guard was fired. The lady is an idiot because she was crying like it was such a traumatic thing and thinks she's entitled to some compensation. The sad part about it is she's in court right now over stealing someone's credit card and running up $5,000 on it in the past. If she had kept her mouth shut, no one other than those guards would have known who she is and no one would have known about her legal troubles. She is using valuable oxygen that could be better used for an intelligent person/animal. (sorry that was so harsh but I have a serious lack of tolerance for stupidity)

Ron White said it best " You can't fix stupid".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.