Apple disc question

Reaction score
i have a 13" macbook pro and I need my discs because i'm going to be installing windows over the weekend. I might have lost my discs so i borrowed my friend's. He has a 15" macbook pro and i was just wondering if they would work for my 13"

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Simply put if they are the disks that came with the machine then more than likely not no. The disks that come with machines are extremely model specific
Question though: why do you need the disks to install windows? Is it for the windows side boot camp drivers? if so you can download them.
Go to the following page after installing windows and look on the right hand side for the drivers
Apple - Support - Boot Camp

- Simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You will need the correct DVD or a retail copy of Snow Leopard. Those downloads that buzzard referred to are updates to Boot Camp and will not install without first having Boot Camp.

Buy a copy of Snow Leopard from Apple or Best Buy. $29

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just stated in my previous reply that an update will not work. The link you provided is an update not the original Boot Camp software found on your install DVD. Again, buy a copy of Snow Leopard if you really want to install Windows or wait until you get home.

OP
C
Reaction score
I already have boot camp on my computer, i'm just looking for something that i could use as a replacement for the drivers disc that came with my computer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have the Boot Camp Assistant on your machine not the Boot Camp drivers or software that get's installed from the DVD to the Windows partition. That's why you can't update it with the those downloads - you need the DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I think I understand what you're asking. You've got Boot Camp installed, I assume you have the Windows installer already, so you're looking for the Windows drivers for the Mac hardware. In this instance, the disks for the MacBook Pro should be fine to load the Windows drivers. The disks themselves won't have the correct drivers for the Mac OS side of things, as it's designed for a different model, but the Windows side is fairly generic, and from past experience should be ok.

The update you reference above is to enhance stability and security running Boot Camp, not for updating drivers necessarily, although it wouldn't surprise me if they hid one or two driver updates in it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.