Spilled water on mac!

Reaction score
I spilled quite a lot of water on my white macbook two days ago, it was on when this happened and turned off by itself a few seconds after the spillage. I quickly wiped the surface clean and took out the battery (the little light on the charger was blinking when I disconnected it). I left it to dry for more than a day and tried to turn it on, but nothing happened! It won't charge either! Which part is damaged for this kind of things to show? Is it gonna get fixed?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I spilled quite a lot of water on my white macbook two days ago, it was on when this happened and turned off by itself a few seconds after the spillage. I quickly wiped the surface clean and took out the battery (the little light on the charger was blinking when I disconnected it). I left it to dry for more than a day and tried to turn it on, but nothing happened! It won't charge either! Which part is damaged for this kind of things to show? Is it gonna get fixed?

Sorry to say it...but your MacBook sounds like it's done for!:( We hear of this sort of thing more often than we would like. But just in case...give this a read:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp
Do not give up on it yet. Once I spilled an entire glass of water on my MacBook and funny thing is, now it works even better than ever.
Take it into your local apple store there might be something they can do to help.
Try contacting apple support too. heres their number U.S. iPod, Mac and iPad technical support:
(800) APL-CARE (800-275-2273)
they can probably give some help too!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@nicecrew

You were lucky. Spilling anything on your computer while it's running will very likely fry something. Electronic components and water do not mix. I would say that well over 90% of spills wind up damaging the machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do not give up on it yet. Once I spilled an entire glass of water on my MacBook and funny thing is, now it works even better than ever.

Yes you were lucky...but I don't think that you can say this..."now it works even better than ever."

...this implies that your MacBook is running better AFTER you spilled a glass of water on it...and I truly don't think that can happen!;)

As far as Apple helping...they're not going to do anything...other than tell you that you need a new $600-$700 logic board!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
If it doesn't end up working, you're better off selling the computer and buying a new / used one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
You'd think they'd come up with the spill-proof keyboard by now... Just something to give the Laptop a way to shed the liquid and to give you a chance to shut the power off and yank the battery before it fries. Then again, the more people kill their laptops with liquids, the more money the company makes when you have to go buy a new one. :p

Reaction score
sanr

One thing I've known to work for phones is put it in rice and it absorbs the moisture. Not sure what it will do for the Mac but if nothing else I'd give it a try before buying parts.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'd think they'd come up with the spill-proof keyboard by now... Just something to give the Laptop a way to shed the liquid and to give you a chance to shut the power off and yank the battery before it fries. Then again, the more people kill their laptops with liquids, the more money the company makes when you have to go buy a new one. :p

They do have that...it's called a "Toughbook":

Toughbook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.