macbook not recognizing 2 partitions in a partitioned NTFS drive

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro with the NTFS-3G driver installed. I have a 2 TB NTFS drive with 2 NTFS partitions on it. The first partition will mount fine, but the 2nd will not mount. If I look at the disc utility, it sees both partitions in the utility, the second is just not mounting.

Will it not recognize both partitions on a NTFS drive? Is this just something that I have to live with? Is there something that will correct this?

I do not want to go fat32. The reason for the NTFS is because I use this drive on a windows computer also. I had partitioned it because I use the mac for DJing and I have music on 1 partition and karaoke on the 2nd. I didn't want to mount the karaoke when I wasn't using it.

appreciate any help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

An NTFS drive or partition should mount regardless of which driver is being used. The driver only provides read and write capability. Having said that, read on....

I don't particularly like NTFS-3G as it's been known to cause corruption which may be the reason the partition won't mount now. I can't say for certain that it's the culprit but it could very well be.

Do you have any data on that partition that you can't afford to lose? Otherwise, I recommend wiping the partition, creating it again, and re-format as NTFS. Then, instead of using NTFS-3G purchase Paragon NTFS from Paragon software. ($19.95)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.