Mac Mini Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Hello, So my family currently has a VERY VERY VERY slow windows. I have restored, defragmented, I've done it all. But it only has a 1.5 g RAM and a 1.4 Ghz Intel and it's just not made to be very quick. So, we are looking into a Mac Mini. But my question is, can we hook a mac mini up to a PC display? It's so much cheaper that way then buying a iMac. Or even a refurbished macbook (thats 750) and the mini is 699. Any thoughts on this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But my question is, can we hook a mac mini up to a PC display?

You sure can. That was one of the main points of the Mac-mini when it was first released 6 years ago...to be able to plug in an existing monitor, keyboard, and mouse to reduce cost.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a wonderful idea. Do other pc companies have something like that?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That's a wonderful idea. Do other pc companies have something like that?

Well...it's really not as revolutionary as it may sound. Almost all Windows desktop computers are just a "computer box, keyboard, and mouse"...so Apple just eliminated the inclusion of a keyboard & mouse.

What was revolutionary when the Mac-mini first came out was how small it was. It's basically a laptop computer in a very small "box" with no display.

So if you removed the display & keyboard from a $999 13" MacBook...you would essentially have a $699-$799 Mac-mini. Also remember that the first Mac-Mini's were $499...which was also AMAZING for an Apple computer which until that time...Apple computers were all over at least $1000.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Most likely, you'll need an adapter. Bummer!

But wait! It comes with the Mini!! :yea:

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice! I don't think we have the funding for it just yet, but when it's time for a new comp, its going to be a mac one way or another (wether it be a mini or a refurb macbook). When I go off to college this summer, there will be no one home who is computer literate. So, they need something fast, something that picks up wifi (our pc has a usb adapter that hangs off the comp to pick up wifi), something that will last forever, and something that will help reduce the clutter of the comp area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
Most likely, you'll need an adapter. Bummer!

But wait! It comes with the Mini!! :yea:

Most monitors for PCs use the old VGA cables. The Mini comes with a DVI adapter. you can get the VGA adapter for $29 (Apple) or $25 (aftermarket).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I guess I got lucky. The adapter that came with my Mini worked with the monitor I bought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
I guess I got lucky. The adapter that came with my Mini worked with the monitor I bought.

Yeah, some monitors have DVI inputs, too. Not my POS monitor, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.