iMac (Intel Early 2006 Core Duo) very slow..

Reaction score
anymore. Very aggrevating to deal with. Example - While in iTunes - just selecting "Books", "Podcasts" "Movies", etc. in the navigation pane causes the 'Beach Ball' to spin for sometimes 10 to 15 seconds before returning.

Launching Apps is slow. - Closing an APP is very very slow. Working in most applications such as iTunes, iPhoto will strain the patience!

I run Onyx fairly often - and repair permissions in between times.

** The only thing i can think of as the culprit is the Hard Disk Drive being so full. I have the original 250gb drive that has about 40 gb remaining free space. I also have VMFusion w/ Windows XP - but it's slow even with this turned off!!!

I'm thinking of replacing the internal HDD with a 500gb Hybrid Solid State from Seagate ($105 USD)

I wonder if this will help return it to it's original speeds?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes. An almost full hard drive could be causing the slow downs. One quick way to test this...is to try deleting a bunch of stuff you don't need (you must have some junk on there, we all do);)...or move some stuff to an external drive to free up space on the internal drive.

If an almost full hard drive is the problem...jeez...what an easy fix (free up some space).:)

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.