HELP!!!! No Log in window on start up/ mac loads to blue screen

Reaction score
My Macbook pro was working fine. I have had my mac from brand new in November 2009 I turned it off and now when i go to turn it on it shows the grey loading image and then loads to a blue screen. I can't start it up in safe mode. It wont run the mac os install dvd :( I don't want to lose my work. I am just devastated. I need help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're using the correct install DVD to start the machine and it won't start, then you have a hardware problem. Make sure the DVD you're using is correct before proceeding....

First, is your MBP covered under Apple care? If it is, make an appointment with your local Apple store genius and let them check it out.

No Apple care: Your hard drive could have failed. If you're comfortable with opening up your MBP, open it up on the bottom, remove the battery, and then remove the hard drive. Replace the battery, close up the MBP and try to start it with your original install DVD. If the machine boots OK with the DVD, the hard drive is defective and has likely failed.

Have you been making backups with Time Machine?

Post back results and we'll go from there.

Deb

Reaction score
I have an IMac and had the same problem two days ago. I fixed it by doing the following:

Start up in single user mode. (Hold down the command + s key after start up chime).

Then type the following:

mount -uw /

chmod 775 /

chmod 1775 /

reboot

You may want to confirm this procedure for a Macbook pro.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
When you say it won't load the Install DVD. Are you holding "option" during the boot process?

Try booting holding down the CMD+V key. This is called verbose mode. It will show you the items that load during the boot process and potentially the errors that are causing your issue.

I recent had an error related to the loginwindow process that produced a similar result.

The cause of the issue was related to a corruption in the /etc/authentication file.

Here is what fixed it for me. I also had to reset the password for my account from the DVD as well.

quant0r.com » LoginWindow crash

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.