Help needed

Reaction score
Hi - Hope someone can help me - I have a mac OS x version 10.5.8. last week I opened it up to a blue screen and nothing I could do would make it come back. I referred to my handbook which told me how to reset it. I was quite proud that I had, or rather thought I had been successful. Now it will only let me log into guest account, I have tried to reset it, but no joy. Any geniuses out there that can help?:(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any geniuses out there that can help?:(

Plenty of knowledgeable folks here on Mac-Forums...but we cannot read minds.;) So it would REALLY help if you told us:

- which Macintosh model you have
- it's specifications (processor speed, ram, etc.)
- if you purchased it new or used
- anything that you've done so far to try & fix it

Basically as much info you can give us regarding the problem

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi - Hope this helps. I purchased it new 2.5 years ago and this is the first problem I have had with it. I have tried changing my password - thanks

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBA11.00BB.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.23f20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Try booting into your usb stick that came with the machine that has the OS installation on it.
Boot it up with that, click Utilities > Disk Utility, click your hdd, click the First Aid tab, click Repair Disk, after this has completed click Repair Permissions. This could take a little while so be patient with it.
Once completed reboot and see if the problem persists.

- Simon

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi - I dont think I got one with it. I looked in more info on computer and it says Host Controller Location: Built In USB

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Thread moved to appropriate forum.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi - Hope this helps. I purchased it new 2.5 years ago and this is the first problem I have had with it. I have tried changing my password - thanks

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir1,1

Telling us that you have a MacBook Air...is a MAJOR major important bit of information (left out in your initial post). As you very well know...MacBook Air's do not have a CD/DVD drive...so some troubleshooting options that we might normally suggest...are not possible.

All Mac's (other than the MacBook Air) come with "restore disks" which allow you to boot your computer from the CD/DVD instead of your hard drive...which aids in troubleshooting or restoring the computer.

If you do not have or (did not get) a "USB Key"/"USB Stick" with your MBA (they may not have come with older MBA's...they do come with newer MBA's)...and if you don't have an external CD/DVD drive to boot your computer from a Mac OS install disk...it's going to be tougher to troubleshoot this problem.

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi Nick - I dont have an external cd/dvd. Also when I check on the info it says the USB is built in - Elizabeth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Restart the MBA, just after you hear the startup chime hold the "alt" key. This should gives you boot options. You should definitely see your hdd, but if you have another option let us know. :)

- Simon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick - I dont have an external cd/dvd. Also when I check on the info it says the USB is built in - Elizabeth

I think that you're misunderstanding the "USB" portion of this discussion. Just about EVERY laptop/notebook computer sold in the past 10 years or so has one more more "built-in" USB ports.

What we're talking about is a USB "flash drive" (those small "thumb drives" or "memory sticks" that you plug into the computer to transfer files/data).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
um!!! Dont think I got one - but then again maybe have to have a good look - thx

You may not have one...these may only have been included with newer MacBook Airs. Here's a link to an older User Manual for older MacBook Air's:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/macbook_air_users_guide.pdf

...here's a quote from page 9 of the User Manual "Although your MacBook Air doesn’t have an optical disc drive, it does include DVD discs with important software."

Thus you should have received 2 "gray-colored" DVD disks with the computer when you purchased it new 2.5 years ago. If you cannot find these disks...your best option is to call Apple at their "800" number...and request a duplicate set of these disks for your computer. Usually a $15-$20 dollar charge. Or you could go to your nearest Apple Store & purchase an OS 10.6 Sow Leopard install disk for $29.

Keep in mind...once you receive these disks...you will still need the "special" external DVD drive made for the MacBook Air...or have your MacBook Air networked to a 2nd Macintosh computer so that the gray DVD disks (or 10.6 Snow Leopard disk) can be booted from.

As you can see this is not necessarily a simple process...and so you may be better of going to the Apple Store and see if they can diagnose what is wrong (which may cost you some $$$).

I should also ask (since this computer is 2.5 years old)...do you happen to have the 3-year extended Applecare? If so...then definitely take the computer to the Apple Store have them look at it...since any troubleshooting/repairs would hopefully be covered by the Applecare warranty.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for your help Nick-I have the disks they are still unopened in the box. I think I will have to go into my Apple store to sort this problem - hope it doesnt cost to much £££ as I never took out extended warranty. Kind regards Elizabeth:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.