MBP 13 Advice before i buy

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im really new to the Apple universe but used Mac Books in the past and read loads of great reviews on the Mac book pros so wanted to order one for doing some home videa and picture editing, also for surfing and emails while out and about. I thought the 13" higher speced model (2.66ghz, 320gb HD)would be perfect with pleanty of power for image rendering and nice small light and mobile when out and about, I was just about to order and found a few reviews out there of people complaining about the screen size for doing the above tasks and even trading in for the 15" model!

I dont really want ot make the jump to the 15" model as its just to expensive.

What are ppls thoughts on this? would the screen be to small and get anoying when trying to edit films and vids and also what would it be like if i was using it for work processing for lond periods?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I dont really want ot make the jump to the 15" model as its just to expensive.

If you can't afford the 15"...then the 13" is really you're only option...right? So good or bad...if you want a new Apple laptop...then the 13" it has to be.;)

Another option could be to purchase a used 15" MacBook Pro. But of course many folks don't like to purchase used.

In reality...the 13" display is not that bad. Is ANY display ever big enough??? The 13" is very light & portable...and you can always connect a larger display when you're at home.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks for the reply pigoo3.

The 13" was the one i wanted but if there was enough value in going to 15" or enough cause for concern with the 13" screen i would hold off and save up for a 15".

I am guessing there are people out there working on 13" with no complaints and I just wanted a little reassurance before spending so much money really. Plus the Mac book Air only goes to 13" so surely ppl are using that for editing and word proccessing etc? if not it makes for a very expensive web browser!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...if not it makes for a very expensive web browser!

Depending how you look at it...any Macintosh computer is an expensive web browser....but then...aren't such things as "web browsing" & "e-mail" two of the biggest purposes most people use their personal computers for these days?

Sure...many folks use their computers for work related tasks, home hobby related tasks, music, photos, etc. But behind almost ALL personal computer tasks these days is "web browsing". So web browsing is a VERY important component of personal computer usage:

- Internet shopping
- search for info relating to hobbies
- where to eat
- product info before making a purchase
- internet forums
- DIY procedures for almost any topic area (home repair, car repair, computer repair, etc.)
- etc. etc. etc.

...I can go on & on & on. I know this is not your main question regarding your purchase decision...I'm just saying don't downplay the importance of "web browsing" & computer usage.

But back to your question. My wife has a 13" MacBook...and I have no real issues using it. Would I like a larger display...sure. If folks didn't want larger display's...then we wouldn't see 24", 27", or 30" displays available for desktop computers.

When it comes to laptop/notebook computers...having a large display is nice...but then you also have to factor in weight/size/portability issues/desires. A 13" laptop is going to have a smaller (footprint) and weigh less.

Like a mentioned earlier. A good compromise is...you can get a 13" laptop to maximize portability (and minimize cost)...and have a much larger external display at home when you need a larger display.

The other thing regarding your main question..."What do folks think about a 13" display being too small?" You're going to get a lot of replies both for & against a 13" display...since it's really a matter of personal choice/preference.

If 50 people tell you that a 13" display is too small...and 50 people tell you a 13" is perfect...how does this help your decision process? Just go to your nearest Apple Store...and "play-around" with the different size notebooks...and see what you think. Which after all...isn't your opinion the one that out weighs all others anyway!;)

Good luck with your decision,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I have the MBP 13. Everything that the OP stated for user purpose, the MBP 13 can do. Unless professional video and photo editing is require then get the MBP 15 or 17. You can hook it up to an external monitor for $150 if you need bigger screen. But just doing normal video and photo editing, I have no problem using my MBP13

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks quin - just getting cold feet and wanna make sure im gonna be happy with it for a few years down the line before i part with my cash!

sure i will be and getting a good discount through the higher education deals apple offer, so gonna order it tomorrow now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks quin - just getting cold feet and wanna make sure im gonna be happy with it for a few years down the line before i part with my cash!

Totally understandable!;) Try going to an Apple Store (if you have one near you)...and get your hands on them to see what you think when actually handling & using them.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Server, 2xiMac, Macbook Pro 15, Macbook Pro 13
Chris

Its always a trade off between screen size and portability. I have a 15" Macbook Pro, and just haven't used it that much because it was bigger than I wanted to carry around. Have just a Macbook Pro 13' and I love it and use it so much. Yes its great having a bigger screen, but for me its even better having something that is a bit more portable.

good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
I think the CPU upgrade is a little overpriced. I'd get a 2.4Ghz 13" MBP, and with the $300 saved, you can score a decent 22-24" display, mouse and keyboard.

OP
C
Reaction score
Top advice guys cheers ;)

Nearest apple store is about 30 miles for me so not possible in the week and tricky at weekends as we have a new born. I have been into the store over crimbo though and had a play for a while just not at video editing etc.

Definitely want something portable that can handle some serious work also so the 13" looks to be the right tool for the job.

I am getting a 15% discount with the higher education discount so thought I would go for the better processor and bigger hard disk not only for speed and storage but future proof it and keep it upto date as long as possible.

just out of interest how easy are they to upgrade? quin i see you got a 500gb hitachi disk?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just out of interest how easy are they to upgrade?

Very easy. Just search the internet for DIY videos & instructions.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
just out of interest how easy are they to upgrade? quin i see you got a 500gb hitachi disk?

Like Pigoo said, fairly easy with the right tools. Hitachi is a good drive to go with. There are other good ones. I used Super Dupper with an external HHD enclosure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.