Kernel panic at boot from dvd/hdd and stuck on apple logo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a weird problem. Yesterday I shut down my iMac normally. When i turned it on this morning it wouldn't get past the Apple boot logo. The load indicator was spinning and then froze. I can hear that OSX started fine and I can even control the music with the keyboard, but the image is still stock on Apple logo and a frozen load indicator.

I reset the PRAM (holding down Command, Option, P, and R on startup) - didn't change anything.
I have tried starting it up in safe mode - no luck.
I've tried single user and fsyk command to verify and repair the disk - no luck

I have backup, so I just thought of formatting the hdd and re-installing OSX, but everytime i load the OSX-DVD the kernel panics (I've tried both with a psychical DVD and a HDD-image of OSX, but kernel panic every time). So I'm not able to use the disc utility from boot disc either.

I have a boot camp partion with Windows 7 and I have no problem booting into that and everything seems to be running fine.

Can anybody help me?

I should mention, that I just had my video-card replaced 2 weeks ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Have you still got the old video card? If so replace the new with the old. If the problem goes away then it is the video card and you should get it replaced, the card should be under warranty still???

- Simon

OP
K
Reaction score
hi Buzzard2010,

No, i haven't got the old videocard. The shop kept it, when they fixed it.

Do you believe the problem lies with the video card, when my windows 7 boot camp partition works fine?

Kaspermathias

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
It could be the startup video configuration in OSX that is conflicting with it and not booting properly. The windows side may be starting just fine because it isn't having any conflicts.
So short answer Yes I do believe it's the card.

- Simon

OP
K
Reaction score
hi Simon,

I believe your right. Just checked device manager in windows and the device status for my geforce 8800 GS is: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

My iMac is old, so its not under warranty, but my brand new video card must be. It is an authorized Apple repair shop, so they must grant some guaranties for their work...

Thank you for your replies :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah they will definitely have a product warranty, even if you bought it, put it in yourself and it's not compatible they should still give you your money back or a replacement.

-Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.