Clean imac G4 with glass cleaner??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1: 3.2Ghz octo
I have an iMac G4 17" with sticker goop all around the outer bezel of the display can i use glass cleaner on this or goo gone or what? i dont think that glass cleaner would work because the bezel is plexy glass right?

any knowledgeable suggestions appreciated

-Eddie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I always like to start with the least aggressive cleaner first...which would be a paper towel moistened with warm water. Then I try adding a little soap...then I go with the glass cleaner.

If I use the glass cleaner...I work quickly...then I use a damp towel (with only water) to wipe off any residual glass cleaner (just in case).

It's a conservative approach which minimizes any nasty/undesirable reactions with the plastic.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I always like to start with the least aggressive cleaner first...which would be a paper towel moistened with warm water. Then I try adding a little soap...then I go with the glass cleaner.

If I use the glass cleaner...I work quickly...then I use a damp towel (with only water) to wipe off any residual glass cleaner (just in case).

It's a conservative approach which minimizes any nasty/undesirable reactions with the plastic.

HTH,

- Nick

Is there any other way that i could do it that you know of because the crap is being really stubborn and doesn't even want to come off with glass cleaner.

do you think goo gone is to abrasive?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there any other way that i could do it that you know of because the crap is being really stubborn and doesn't even want to come off with glass cleaner.

do you think goo gone is to abrasive?

Usually I don't like to use anything that contains acetone (found in nail polish remover). I'm also very careful with cleaners that contain alcohol or ammonia (which is found in most glass cleaners).

If I try a cleaner that I'm not sure of...it's best to test it in an inconspicuous area (to see if anything "funky" happens)...and that's when I use the damp towel to wipe immediately after...so no residual cleaner is left on the surface to continue any possible reaction.

As far as Goo-Gone. It's not that it's "abrasive" (abrasive has to do with friction or "grittiness")...it's if it has anything in it that may react with the plastic. I think that Goo-Gone would probably be ok...just have that damp paper towel to use to wipe the area off immediately after using the Goo-Gone (just in case).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
goo gone is the way to go i tried it and at least for now it has no marks or anything :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
YES i have just finished the entire thing and it put up a fight but with a goo gone and a lot of scrubbing presto! it looks brand new Thanks again Nick

-Eddie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
YES i have just finished the entire thing and it put up a fight but with a goo gone and a lot of scrubbing presto! it looks brand new Thanks again Nick

-Eddie

You're welcome...good job!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Yes Ive used goo gone to clean whole computers with out any issues. Just dont over load it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.