Brand new iMac, frustrated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.93GHZ QUAD-CORE i7 - 16GB RAM - 2TB HD - iPad 3rd Gen 64GB - iPhone 4s 32GB
My new imac just arrived today. I replaced the 2x2 sticks of memory with 4x4 GB from OWC. When I boot it up I get a grey screen that looks like this:

20110127-nr368jaa2w4h99a299uewa53w8.jpg

I tried reinstalling the original memory that came with the computer and I get the same thing. Did I damage something while installing the RAM?

Not sure how to proceed and would like some advice before contacting Apple Care.

Thanks!

Reaction score
it's the MOUSE on the picture... it says: TURN THE MOUSE ON

You probably have wireless mouse... yes? well.. just turn the mouse on :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Umm..your iMac came with a mouse..a Magic Mouse..take it out..turn it upside down..release the panel there and pop the 2 batteries that came with with it into it. Put the panel back on and notice the small slider next to the round hole? Slide the button to the top..notice the green light that shows up now..

Amazingly your iMac will now proceed and you can use a mouse..

If something THIS basic (and covered by documentation) is going to frustrate you and this is your first Mac, you're in for quite a ride..:)

Regards

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: resized image.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.93GHZ QUAD-CORE i7 - 16GB RAM - 2TB HD - iPad 3rd Gen 64GB - iPhone 4s 32GB
Thanks guys. I was frustrated because I was worried that I damaged something while installing the RAM. I had no clue what that picture was as I had the track pad out (didn't even unpack the mouse to be honest) albeit not turned on.

Never went from such frustration to a feeling of sheer stupidity in such a short time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Never went from such frustration to a feeling of sheer stupidity in such a short time.

It happens to the best of us. ;) Welcome to the Mac Forums and enjoy your new iMac (along with the wireless mouse).

M

MacInWin

Usually, my frustration comes from sheer stupidity, mostly my own, sometimes others. And it happens all too often!

Welcome to the place, enjoy the iMac. I'm still loving mine after two years! :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24"
kick,

welcome to the forums. Know this, the days of getting frustrated are over with Macs. Frustration only happens with windoze pos's!

Enjoy your Mac to the fullest.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
kick,

welcome to the forums. Know this, the days of getting frustrated are over with Macs. Frustration only happens with windoze pos's!

Enjoy your Mac to the fullest.

Totally not true..I know it's very "chic" to try to bash the opposing OS on any OS-specific forum, but there are countless people (like me) who use Mac, Windows and Linux on a daily basis with absolutely NO frustration. i am equally productive on all of those OS' without any problems..

My work laptop running Windows usually has uptimes of over 6 months before I decide to turn it off for some reason, my Linux server at work runs about the same time until some OS update requires a restart.

So please save your "windoze" comments, as they surely don't add to the discussion..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.