Intel iMac (2006) power cuts out - PSU?

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

A friend's iMac has been playing up by randomly cutting out. I opened it up, with difficulty, because I wondered if the capacitors were shot; I can't seem to see any obvious damage, however.

Is this a known problem? I wondered if it was the PSU and have taken some photos, visible here.

The display also won't come on - I'm not sure if it was due to my fiddling with it or not - anything obvious I might check?

Thanks,

Leggie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
It is possible that the power supply is gone. That would explain the random cut outs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless my eyes are failing me, you've got coil leakage around the poly capacitors on the other side of the filter. It could be the way you took the photos but it appears something got hot at one time. That machine is going on 5 years old so it may not be worth putting a lot of money into.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

@chscag: Afraid I don't know enough to identify the poly capacitors - which are they, and might it be worth replacing those capacitors?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look at photo number 4. The yellow transformer closest to the bottom of the photo (next to yellow coil with red stripes) looks like it overheated at one time and has leaked. Notice the black sticky like stuff on top and the sides.

The shiny poly capacitors (there are two) are close by. Replacing those capacitors or any other component on that board is probably not going to fix the problem. The entire PS should be replaced because damage may have been inflicted on other components. Like I said above, I wouldn't spend too much money on repairs for a machine that old. If you can get hold of another machine for parts (in other words, cheap) then it may be worth it. Check on eBay.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. Probably won't be worth spending much time trying to save it, in light of what's been said.

Thanks again,

Leggie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.