Saving in Pages

Reaction score
Hey yall,

When I hit SAVE after making adjustments to an already crated file, it just won't save, it wants me to rename the file and it's quite annoying to always have to overwrite the file. Is it possible to make it more like - gasp - saving a office document?

***note I'm saving it as a word file and it's for iWork 09'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Try using (save as) instead of save.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's probably the number one reason why I gave up on using Pages. Almost every Mac WP program I'm familiar with will allow auto save to the Office document format except iWork. To me it was a pain to have to use the save as function each time. Other than that annoyance, Pages is a nice application.

C

chas_m

***note I'm saving it as a word file and it's for iWork 09'

Hello, Pages isn't a Microsoft product, so of course it doesn't save to that format automatically. Solution: save in Pages format. If you need a copy in Word, make it the final change, after you've proofread everything.

As for it being "annoying," please do call me when Microsoft Word will let me default to saving in Pages format ...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As for it being "annoying," please do call me when Microsoft Word will let me default to saving in Pages format ...

I most certainly will whenever the "Pages" file format becomes the de-facto standard throughout the business world and for education. You may not like MS but the fact is their Office file formats are the "standard" and why Apple refuses to change their option to "save" rather than "save as" is beyond me. Even the free "Bean" WP program allows a default save to *.doc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
why Apple refuses to change their option to "save" rather than "save as" is beyond me.

The thing is, nobody but Microsoft really understands the MS Word format. So only Word can really save a document in Word format.

When you use an app like Bean or OpenOffice and save your only copy of the on-screen document as a Word doc, your original file is lost. It's gone. All you have is the format-converted version. Bean's own developers warn you that using MS formats may result in lost formatting data.

Pages, at least, does not try to disguise what is going on when you export a document in Word format.

From my perspective, it's unfortunate that some people buy Pages when they want to work with Word documents. Pages is not Word. It has some basic Word import and export features, which can be very useful, but that is not the same as full Word compatibility. If you need Word, do yourself a favor and buy a copy of Word 2011.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you need Word, do yourself a favor and buy a copy of Word 2011.

I agree. But it does not change the fact that almost every WP program except iWork can be made to save by default to the Office format. I like Pages because it does very well with lay out work but that one thing is a spoiler for me, and not just me, many other folks have mentioned the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
I to like Pages and its functionality, never really worried about using save as to replace the original document, but it is the constant Recovered Files folder appearing in the trash after reboot that gets me.:Confused:

C

chas_m

For me, the invention of PDF "solved" the whole "what format" problem forever.

Since I tend to work mainly in "layout" mode when using Pages, the ability to save as a Word file is utterly useless, since Word simply cannot cope with actual properly laid-out DTP type files. You have to either standardize everyone on the proper design program of your choice (InDesign, Quark, Pages, what have you) *or* you use PDF and the problem is solved permanently.

As for Word compatibility, as I say above -- when I need to send a Word document to someone, I just use Pages (or Bean, or Mariner Write, or TextEdit ...) and save in the native format for those programs until I'm sure the document is done, then save a copy to Word format (or, again, just spare myself a lot of aggro and save as PDF) and send it off. No muss, no fuss.

I do agree that if one is in a situation where one is constantly sending or exchanging with mainly Microsoft Office users that genuine MS Office is probably the best option, but apart from that niche of people it should be more important to pick the tool that will produce the BEST version of the work you want to do rather than joining the lemmings just because they all use something else. PDF format has made it unnecessary to "conform" to the "standard" when you want to use something else (better), and for that I'm grateful.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I love it. :) What are the three things you should never get into a discussion with someone?

1. Religion

2. Politics

3. Cars or computers (take your choice)

And finally to that we can now add: Word Processors or Office Suites. :Evil:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.