Cant connect Macbook to tv????

Reaction score
Hi newbie here. having problems getting my macbook rigged upto my LG 42LF7700 hdtv, im using mini dvi to dvi, then dvi to hdmi, it will not detect displays, the screen goes blue for a second then back to normal and the tv says no signal, ive tried different ports on the tv, tried to change the resolution but nothing is happening, would by buying an ebay mini dvi to dvi cable and not a genuine Apple cable maybe be the problem as im totally out of ideas and this is very frustrating, i tried it on our panasonic tv in another room and it worked fine, please help!!!!!:'(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Please do not crosspost.

If it's working fine on the Panny, there is nothing wrong with the cables.

If you used it with the Panny first, and are now trying to use the LG, you could try a SMC reset. If you tried the Panny after the LG just to see if it would work, the SMC reset probably will do nothing, but it won't hurt anything.

It is probably an issue of the LG not sending proper EDID info.
Not a lot you'll be able to do about beside check with LG and see if they have a firmware update for that model - not even sure LG does firmware updates for their TVs - or switch to VGA.

C

chas_m

Isn't there, like an entire thread specifically devoted to this topic??

If there is, can I get a nickel for every time I see a new thread with a similar topic pop up here? Because that would get me a heck of a lot of nickels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24"
works on all my Sony TVs. Sorry, but get a real TV. LG is only good with washer/dryer units. No, I am not starting a war.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
works on all my Sony TVs. Sorry, but get a real TV. LG is only good with washer/dryer units. No, I am not starting a war.

Wouldn't count your blessings too fast - Sony has already admitted to the same issue on their current models.

If you would like a real TV, get a Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi. :)

Isn't there, like an entire thread specifically devoted to this topic??

If there is, can I get a nickel for every time I see a new thread with a similar topic pop up here? Because that would get me a heck of a lot of nickels.

Thinking I could retire if I got a nickel everytime I answered one of these.

You could probably do the same with all the aud/vid threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24"
Sorry Bob,

I will die owning Sony's. I seen the rest of my disfuctional family own those brands and all they do is ***** about them and replace them as they break.

But at least we share the Apple commonality.

Cheers.

Reaction score
solution

LG might be cheaper or something?
Since Apple added HDCP to 10.6.6 (?), some TVs with crappy HDMI implementation became incompatible.
Anyways... you can fix this easily by updating the firmware of the LG.
Google for LG_DTV, download and install.
Use Overscan (in OS X) and "Just Scan" (in Q.Menu of TV).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.