iPhone Remote and Apple TV not connecting to iTunes

Reaction score
I have read a lot about this but I am am still puzzled.

I have just got an Apple TV its connected Wirelessly (I also used ethernet and it made no difference) and I can view YouTube etc but cannot connect to iTunes and it does not appear in iTunes. I have reinstalled iTunes and it still does not work. The remote app on my iPhone also does not connect to iTunes - it will work with Apple TV though. I have ditched the anti virus and turned off the firewall and nothing has changed. I have read about Bonjour but can't figure out if this is an issue?

I have a D-Link 2640R. Is this a network problem or a software problem? Or ultimately I imagine its a user problem but my knowledge is limited. I thought this would be so easy to set up but I'm about ready to take it back to the shop or throw it in the river.....:Shouting:

Please help (plain simple words please)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 13.3" MacBook 4,1 Intel Core2 Duo, 4Gigs Ram (2x2G), 2.4GHz, OS X 10.7.2
AppleTV won't show up in iTunes. That's normal. AppleTV will be able to play the music and videos in your iTunes Library if it's setup on both AppleTV and your computer. On the AppleTV, in the "Settings" menu select "Computers" and see if your computer is listed there. If everythings connected to your wifi network and you've already turned on Home Sharing in iTunes, then it should be there. You might have to enter your AppleID password on the AppleTV. Then it should show the name your computer under "Computers" on the main AppleTV screen.

As for the Remote app, you can only use it with one thing at a time. It would be confusing if it controlled both iTunes and AppleTV at the same time. If you go back to the settings you should be able to select iTunes or AppleTV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini, powerbookg4
what version of itunes is required for the "new" appleTV? do you have it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
AppleTV won't show up in iTunes. That's normal. AppleTV will be able to play the music and videos in your iTunes Library if it's setup on both AppleTV and your computer. On the AppleTV, in the "Settings" menu select "Computers" and see if your computer is listed there. If everythings connected to your wifi network and you've already turned on Home Sharing in iTunes, then it should be there. You might have to enter your AppleID password on the AppleTV. Then it should show the name your computer under "Computers" on the main AppleTV screen.

Correct. The ATV has to be logged into your iTunes account in order to see the shared content. It MUST be the same iTunes account that your computer that hosts the content is logged into.

Reaction score
Remote App

Hi, 1st post on this Forum so just a quick hello before I get down to the nitty gritty.....I've just bought apple TV and I'm trying to use the Remote App on ipad2 or iPhone 4 however can't seem to get it working to control the apple tv!
I have turned on both home sharing functions on iTunes and apple tv, I am only able to see my iTunes library and not apple tv, can I only use 1 home sharing at a time or should I be able to have both home sharing activated at once?
I'm pulling my hair out here....fingers crossed somebody can help me!!:'(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.