Overheating an Imac?

Reaction score
I just purchased a new home and on the back of the property are two standard 10 x 10 sheds. I would really like to make one of these sheds an office, but am afraid of overheating the iMac. In my town, it can get as hot as 110 F and as cold as 25 F, although I don't think the cold will be a problem. The shed is NOT well ventilated, but does have insulation inside. Any ideas?

Thanks,
CFMI

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just purchased a new home and on the back of the property are two standard 10 x 10 sheds. I would really like to make one of these sheds an office, but am afraid of overheating the iMac. In my town, it can get as hot as 110 F and as cold as 25 F, although I don't think the cold will be a problem. The shed is NOT well ventilated, but does have insulation inside. Any ideas?

Thanks,
CFMI

If it gets close to 110°F in your area...it will most likely be even hotter inside the shed. I don't care how tough you are...with temps in excess of 110°F+...I would be more worried about you...not the darn computer!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Consult your manual or Apple's support site for the safe operating and storage temperature changes.

Spoiler alert: 110 F is way too high for operation.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both for computers & humans!;)

- Nick

That's why I really appreciate our military who are currently fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq. Summer temps there are usually over 110F. Imagine moving around in that heat with body armor, weapon, and field pack.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's why I really appreciate our military who are currently fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq. Summer temps there are usually over 110F. Imagine moving around in that heat with body armor, weapon, and field pack.

Absolutely! I remember when I went thru basic training in El Paso from early May thru early July...then advanced training in El Paso from July thru October (during the hottest time of the year). Regardless of how much the Drill Sergeants wanted to continue pushing us to our limits...we were (according to Army regulations) required to take a 10-15 minute break very hour & drink water due to the hot weather conditions.

But of course it wasn't as bad as it could be...it was a "dry heat"!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.