mouse does not work after leaving computer after use. Have to reboot computer

Reaction score
I have had my imac for 13 months and had no problems until last week. I finish up at the computer and come back to it 15 minutes later or 15 hours later and the computer wakes up when I move the mouse or touch the keypad; however I cannot type my password to get in as my mouse does not work. (to repeat---it will wake up the computer however). To start working again I have to manually push the off button and than power up again.

Is there anybody who can help me fix this annoying problem.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We would love to help you but without any information it's rather hard to do.

What kind of mouse? USB? Wireless? ?? And which version of OS X are you running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Adding to the question list:
•Are you using a mains powered (or bus powered) USB hub to connect mouse and keyboard?
•Is it an Apple keyboard, or a generic (made for Win) one?
•Does pulling the USB plugs out and then reinserting them revive the mouse and keyboard functions?
•Have you used Disk Utility > First Aid > Verify Disk to check the hardware status?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.