Is it bad to use laptop as a desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16ghz, 2gigram, 320HDD 7200rpm, dual-boot with XP.
I have a macbook pro from mid 2006.

I want to run parallels windows 7 running Visual Studio and on my mac side have itunes, chrome, photoshop, adium all at once.

I only have 2gig ram on my current MBP, so I was thinking maybe it's time for an upgrade.

My laptop is almost always docked, 98% of the time, is it bad for your laptop to always be plugged in and having lots of draining peripherals(ext hdds, wireless mouse/keyboard, two external monitors).

A looked at MacPro but including tax i wont get under $3k, I could get a pretty sweet new MBP for around $2200.

What's your thoughts?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a macbook pro from mid 2006.

I only have 2gig ram on my current MBP, so I was thinking maybe it's time for an upgrade.

This depends on what model MBP you have. Some of the early MBP's had a 2gig max. ram limit.

My laptop is almost always docked, 98% of the time, is it bad for your laptop to always be plugged in and having lots of draining peripherals(ext hdds, wireless mouse/keyboard, two external monitors).

First of all...those plugged in peripherals are not "draining peripherals"...they're just "peripherals".;) There's really nothing "draining" about them.:) IMHO...there is nothing wrong with having your MBP plugged in 98% of the time...mine is plugged in 99.7% of the time. Really...I have done the calculation.;)

I'm curious...how are you running two external monitors on your MBP? I know it can be done...I'm just curious what method you're using.

I hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. We have actually had a couple questions just like your's lately. If you do a search...and find them...you may find them interesting reading.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.