I Purchased a dud !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipad 3g 64gb, Iphone 4, MBP 15 i7, Hi-Res A/Glare, 512mb Grafix, 500Gb 7200rpm Drive, 8Gb Ram
Purchased a Macbook Pro on Monday, sold on eBay as brand new unused.
I got around 20% off retail so was happy.
That is, until it arrived at my office today, beat to **** and smelling of cigarette smoke with dog hairs all over the case.

Im now off to buy a brand new one from apple store local to me, :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Doesn't pay pal have an appeal process you can go through to get your money back? I don't buy things on e-bay, but I'm sure I've heard of people doing that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Doesn't pay pal have an appeal process you can go through to get your money back? I don't buy things on e-bay, but I'm sure I've heard of people doing that.

OP is on the UK...so not 100% sure of how "bad" e-Bay transaction are handled. But I most definitely agree...there has got to be some sort of recourse for the OP...including contacting the seller first to see what they have to say (which in many cases may not help...but who know...gotta try).:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Purchased a Macbook Pro on Monday, sold on eBay as brand new unused.
I got around 20% off retail so was happy.
That is, until it arrived at my office today, beat to **** and smelling of cigarette smoke with dog hairs all over the case.

Im now off to buy a brand new one from apple store local to me, :'(

Like "MYmacROX" mentioned...how did you pay for this e-Bay transaction? Did you use Paypal or some other sort of electronic payment method? There has got to be some sort of process to dispute this transaction.

Did you try to contact the seller at all? They may not reply...but you have at least got to try.

Please let us know how things turn out.

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipad 3g 64gb, Iphone 4, MBP 15 i7, Hi-Res A/Glare, 512mb Grafix, 500Gb 7200rpm Drive, 8Gb Ram
I paid with credit card through paypal so im completely covered.
The seller has agreed a refund and the item was shipped back today so should be fine.

I went straight to the Apple store and got the following;

15" Hi-Res anti glare
2.8GHz i7
4gb 1066 DDR3
500gb 7200rpm drive
512mb grafix card

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The seller has agreed a refund and the item was shipped back today so should be fine.

That sounds great!:) You should have mentioned that in your 1st post...since it sounded like you just got "ripped off" BIGTIME...with no recourse/options.

Congrats again that everything's fine,:)

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I only just fouind out the seller agreed to refund as I immediately sent him an email but due to the advert being as this was a brand new unit and in fact it looked like **** I thought he was trying it on.
He agreed with paypal and ebay to refund it once it arrives so yes, all is good, other than the cost of the mac ive just purchased :(

Ive been spoiled with pc`s, ive purchased over 400 laptops/pc`s in my time and never spent so much on a system as this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ive been spoiled with pc`s, ive purchased over 400 laptops/pc`s in my time and never spent so much on a system as this.

Well you must have had some pretty solid reasons for finally purchasing a Macintosh computer after buying over 400 Windows computers "in your time"...otherwise it sounds like you would not have done it...and would have just purchased Windows computer number 401!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I went straight to the Apple store and got the following;

15" Hi-Res anti glare
2.8GHz i7
4gb 1066 DDR3
500gb 7200rpm drive
512mb grafix card

But you did get the best one they offer which should make it capable of performing any task you throw at it and quickly I might add.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you must have had some pretty solid reasons for finally purchasing a Macintosh computer after buying over 400 Windows computers "in your time"...otherwise it sounds like you would not have done it...and would have just purchased Windows computer number 401!;)

- Nick

I buy loads for work, we go through lots of pc's as a matter of course.
Its only due to the ever increasing crappy running and unreliability of windows failing just at the worst time, as if it knew how to hit us :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
always sucks for a non smoker to get an item from a smoker. reeks like ****. i bought a couple games once that were like that. you could smell it like 15 feet away. ended up throwing them away

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Another bad situation turns turns to a good one! Congrats on the new purchase!! I just question how they said it was "new" when it really wasn't...did they input the wrong info, or where they hoping on having a dumb buyer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Here is the add; Apple Macbook Pro 17" Screen. on eBay (end time 24-Jan-11 15:50:06 GMT)
There is no way it could be mistakenly sold as new when it was really like a crock of shiatsu.

The seller has 452 feedback, but only 4 of them are as a seller. The rest are bought items. And 1 of the 4 went sour! Honestly, you should have been more careful to check the feedback. When you get to the feedback page, be sure to check the "Feedback as a Seller" tab. Some people have bought a lot, but have no clue as to how to list items properly.

Glad it turned out ok in the end though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
Bummer, but it sounds like it ultimately worked out, just some hassle (and paying full price). I was tempted to big/buy a few machines I found on Fleabay, but in the end assessment, the $200 or less saved didn't seem worth it (vs. the risk). I paid more but got a _new_ machine, no issue with missing parts or condition, new machine warranty, etc.

That being said, I do think there are some safe channels for purchasing used machines., but when you start talking about spending $1000 or more, you really have to be careful.

Nice MBP setup you scored!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.