looking at an imac g4, emac etc for my 4 yo

Reaction score
any of these can run internet no problem right. he's mostly just playing with word games etc. but soon will be on disney and family channel websites.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
any of these can run internet no problem right. he's mostly just playing with word games etc. but soon will be on disney and family channel websites.

These are both still fairly decent Mac's for most of what you mentioned...but depending on the processor speed...they are not always good for internet video content...like Disney may have a lot of.

Also...the processor speeds vary pretty widely on these (700mhz-1.42ghz eMac, 700mhz-1.25ghz iMac G4)...so faster is better. So what I'm saying is...you probably need at least a 1ghz processor for internet video playback to be acceptable (not necessarily good). For good/great internet video playback...you're going to have spend more money.

I'm not just saying watching videos on the internet...I'm also taking about all of the "bells & whistles" that make internet sites look interesting...called "Eye Candy"...which many children related sites have a lot of.

Other then the internet video issue...these are fine computers for what you're thinking of using it for.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
yeah,

I was going to pick one up off ebay with the max processor for the machine...i think its 1.42. I want him to grow up using macs. I grew up on pc's and the headaches are horrible. Still the same old problems that were there 20 years ago. Mac does not have those problems as steve keeps a tight ship on OS-hardware. makes for a smooth system integration.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
yeah,

I was going to pick one up off ebay with the max processor for the machine...i think its 1.42. I want him to grow up using macs. I grew up on pc's and the headaches are horrible. Still the same old problems that were there 20 years ago. Mac does not have those problems as steve keeps a tight ship on OS-hardware. makes for a smooth system integration.

If you're aiming for a 1.42ghz eMac...then you should be in pretty good shape from an internet surfing perspective. One word of warning since you were sort of considering both an eMac & a G4 iMac.

The eMac has a CRT monitor...and due to it's age you never know what sort of shape it may be in. It could "crap-out" on you the day after you buy it...and it could have screen burn-in if the previous user/users weren't careful with it. Of course if you aren't paying much for it...it may be worth the gamble. If you were able to locate a "low mileage" eMac then you would be fine...but with e-Bay...you probably won't get to see & use it before buying.

One other bit of info. eMac's were originally designed to be used in education environments...where in many cases...they would see lots & lots of use. So many of them will have lots & lots of hours on them. So the display issues I mentioned really do have a high possibility of occurring.

The iMac G4 has an LCD monitor...and typically LCD monitors have less issues.

Just something to consider,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks nick. I will def keep that in mind. They (emac) are going for 80 on eBay and the IMac is going for approximate 100. Not bad for a complete system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Grab that eMac, the 1.42 especially! No capacitor problems, and although the CRT may be worn, you can always use an external monitor (there's a post about that very thing in this forum). eMacs are incredibly robust machines. I'm loath to part with mine, I'd rather keep it going somehow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.