Can the Iphone 4 push pop email accounts like a BB?

Reaction score
I want my pop email to push to my inbox on my iphone. Can it be done with a pop account? That was one feature of my blackberry that I really miss. As soon as an email came into my inbox, it was in my phone. no waiting 15min etc. it was instant. can I do this with my new Iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That all depends on the email account provider. The phone is capable of receiving push email.

Who's your email with?

OP
S
Reaction score
rogers canada

it worked with my blackberry, so it should with my iphone then. how do you set it up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Blackberry mail is different in that it's a paid for server push service funded by your blackberry purchase/contract.

However I believe Rogers use email provided by Yahoo which provide a push service.

I've always has a few issues with yahoo push reliability, always preferred the gmail exchange method personally. That said just delete the yahoo settings reboot your phone then re-input the settings set to push rather than fetch and try that.

Reaction score
I just set up a new iP4 on Rogers; I was able to configure my 2 email accounts without issue, but push doesn't seem to work regardless of how I adjust the settings.

One account is from Shaw, and the other my company's domain, hosted by IDK who...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's my preferred solution too. It obviously involves an email switch which isn't for everyone but it works very well..

Link to official google instructions which are a bit more up-to-date than the previous link

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So what's the advantage of push email over just having your phone check for email periodically? I never really understood the need for push email, especially since it just uses the battery faster anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So what's the advantage of push email over just having your phone check for email periodically? I never really understood the need for push email, especially since it just uses the battery faster anyway.

Depends how quickly you want your email I guess, personal preference and all that.

Though one thing of note. On my 3GS or iPhone 4 I've never had any battery drain issues receiving push email.

If everything's working as it should Push should use less power. The exception being if you have mountains of constantly arriving email, in which case, timed requests would suit more.

Reaction score

I find it uses less battery. I have fetch turned off.

I need to get my email as quickly as possible, my livelihood depends on it. 15 minutes can be enough of a gap that I might lose a job. Also, a lot of people use email to communicate in real time in leiu of text or messaging.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.