Using power instead of battery?

Q

queenp

A computer engineer once told me running my laptop on power (with battery removed) will damage the hard disk components.

It's always safer to run with the battery plugged in. Any comments anyone?

Always finding it so cumbersome having to charge, drain, calibrate. At the end of the day, you still gotta buy a new battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
on 'books, if your connected to the charager the batter will charge, once the batter is full it will bypass using the charger (if your using it otherwise it will just stop). 'books do not overcharge, nor do i think it will damage anything if you are connected to the charger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
no, it wont ruin the hard drive, there made the same way your standard ata hard drives are made, except there smaller, it'll be fine.

OP
T

Tel

queenp said:
Always finding it so cumbersome having to charge, drain, calibrate. At the end of the day, you still gotta buy a new battery.

You don't have to calibrate it every time you use it. As long as its has a full charge/discharge cycle when you got it then its good to go, plug it in whenever you can, don't worry about draining the battery fully before charging (this will actually be better for your battery because you'll get through less cycles and it will last longer)

It is worth noting that you should calibrate the battery once a month or so to keep it in peak condition (ie. drain the battery fully and charge fully once a month)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.