Intel iMac Kernel Panic! Please help!

Reaction score
I don't know where to begin!

Ok so about a month ago I got my first Kernel Panic.
Ironically I panicked. I don't know what caused it, but removing all things form my computer seemed to fix it,
ex: Bluetooth keyboard, mouse, Tablet, Iphone charger, speakers, etc.

But lately ive been getting them more and more..
Tonight being the worst.

It started with the first Kernel Panic.. than another one right after, and again, and again.. It would recover fine.. Just to go back into it 10 minutes later.
My speakers would crackle and make some scary noises before it went into every Kernel Panic too.
Then it got to the point where my iMac would make 3 Beeps when starting up.
I reset the PRAM and Drained the power from it
I believe this is how you do it?
(Unplugging and pressing the power button twice and then holding it for 5 seconds to drain the power)
Then it started back up again. I could write down the error but i took pictures of it on my iphone. I'll try to upload those too.

I can't do anything other than use safari without it going into a Kernel Panic.
It always seems to go into a Kernel Panic when I'm playing World of Warcraft.. :p (DONT JUDGE ME!)

Wow hopefully someone can help me! I can provide any details you need!
Thanks so much!!!

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM101.00CC.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.53f13

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP • 2.66Ghz iMac
I read somewhere that Kernel Panics are memory related, so if you've tried all the other built-in fixes (rebuilding permission, zapping pram, etc....) and you have a lot of RAM (4Gig) it might be that one of your RAM modules' was starting to go bad and has just gotten worse. Its worth a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
3 beeps would indicate bad ram shut the machine down and remove one stick of ram then reboot if it works found the bad stick if not reinstall and move to slot 2 and remove
that stick also swap the ram just to make sure its not the board. I just experienced this
a month ago had one bad stick.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Then it got to the point where my iMac would make 3 Beeps when starting up.

That's an indicator of bad system memory or the modules may not be seated right. Pull the modules one at a time and re-seat them. If the KPs continue, swap out the modules for new ones. Not just one, but both.

OP
N
Reaction score
Could someone give me a step to step guide on removing and installing the ram 1 by 1? Im not that great technical stuff. :) Thanks!

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok so I tested both ram sticks, and they're both fine.
Im thinking about just re-installing the OS?
Will that fix it?
- Also I tried the Disk Utility option above, but when I hold "c" while booting up my iMac just freezes on the White screen with the Apple Logo.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How did you test the memory modules? And when you reseated them are you still having the same problem?

Try this: Instead of holding down the C key when booting from your original install DVD, hold down the OPTION key as soon as you hear the chime. Let it go when you see the Apple appear. Run DU. Let us know the result.

And no, reinstalling is not going to help and may actually make matters worse. Also, have you been making backups?

OP
N
Reaction score
I unscrewed the bottom and removed the sicks one at a time, booting it up with just one, everything was fine.
I just wiped my iMac and re-installed OSX. Things seem to be running a lot smoother now... Hopefully this fixes it. I'm re-installing all my programs now so I'll post later my results.
**Also I did a Hardware check, took about an hour but it came back saying everything was working fine without any problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.