macbook pro battery not

Reaction score
charging. purchased new in september 2010. will not charge battery. just started this evening. when plugged into wall runs off of wall charger but will not charge the battery. any advice. i have had terrible luck with mac notebooks. my last macbook pro had about 15 different parts that needed to be replaced.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
charging. purchased new in september 2010. will not charge battery. just started this evening. when plugged into wall runs off of wall charger but will not charge the battery. any advice. i have had terrible luck with mac notebooks. my last macbook pro had about 15 different parts that needed to be replaced.

There's really no need racking your brain about it. When a Macintosh computer is less than 12 months old...just go to your nearest Apple Store (hopefully you have one)...and have them look at it...since you still have Applecare on it.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
unfortunately

i did not purchase apple care. expect a 1400 computer to operate correctly and not have to spend an additional 250 on apple care

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i did not purchase apple care. expect a 1400 computer to operate correctly and not have to spend an additional 250 on apple care

Ahh...but you don't seem to realize is that EVERY new Macintosh computer automatically comes with 12 months of Applecare!;)

Regarding expecting a $1400 dollar computer to operate correctly. I totally understand what you mean...but in a realistic world...nothing is 100% perfect.

You're not 100% perfect in everything you do...I'm not 100% perfect in everything I do...and from time to time, Apple is not perfect either. One VERY good reason why Apple gives EVERYONE 12 months of Applecare with each computer purchase!:)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
i thought it was only three months. so i am still in my apple care warranty. purchased computer directly from apple so i should be able to get a quick answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It's the telephone tech support that is only 3months, where extended AppleCare gives you 3yrs tech support plus the extra 2yrs warranty.
Good time to consider buying AppleCare before the warranty runs out and you no longer can.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i thought it was only three months. so i am still in my apple care warranty. purchased computer directly from apple so i should be able to get a quick answer.

I think that you get something like 90 days (3 months) of free phone support...but you get a full 12 months of Applecare with every computer purchase.

Whether you purchased the computer directly from Apple or from an Apple Retail Store...it makes no difference. You will actually get faster turn-around if you go directly to an Apple Store...since (in many cases) they may be able to diagnose and fix the problem while you wait.

If you call Apple via the 800 number...turn around will still be relatively fast...but you have to:

- wait for Apple to send you a shipping box (1-2 days)
- then ship the computer to an Apple repair facility (1-2 days)
- give Apple time to fix it (1-2 days)
- wait for the computer to be shipped back to you (1-2 days)

So would you rather drive to an Apple Store location to have your computer fixed...which might take as little as 15 minutes to 2 hours once you're at the store (sometimes it may take 24hrs if they're really busy)...or wait 4-8 days if you have to ship it???

I know which option I would choose.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
much rather drive to an apple store. unfortunately the closest one is about 5 hours away.

Yeah...totally understandable. 5 hours is pretty far...2 hours or less would be MUCH better & doable.

At least you now know that you have 12 months of Applecare (about 7-8 months remaining).

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.