Booting Options

Reaction score
I want to install Ubuntu 10.10 for a project I am doing and I want to use my Mac version 10.6.5 because it has some really nice hardware that can help streamline the process.

But its actually a work computer and I don't want to do anything that can hurt the files on my computer. Ideally I like to be able to just connect an external harddrive that I can boot from and run any OS that can use any of the hardware on the Mac.

These are the options I have thought about:

I can partition the harddrive and install Ubuntu 10.10 on the other partition. (not as preferred)
because I am worried it can mess things up.

Another idea, use a firewire harddrive, install Ubuntu on it then. And then just hold t whenever I want to boot from there.

Are there any other ideas I can do, will these ideas work?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The easiest and most simple way is to use virtualization. Download the free Oracle VirtualBox and install Ubuntu 10.10 as a VM. Much easier and you won't be in danger of overwriting your Mac boot sector with GRUB. :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks, but I am not sure. Wouldn't it make it hard to use the hardware on the system. For example, I have a windows 7 on a virtual machine but it can not use the USB (at least easily).

Reaction score
I have not encountered those issues in a VM - I have 10.10 running under virtualbox right now. Actually, most users on this forum report more issues with drivers and related items when running Ubuntu in a boot manager than they do under a VM. As a result, I would definitely try the VM first because it is much simpler.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.