• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

8 Potential Replacements for Steve Jobs at Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
8 Potential Replacements for Steve Jobs at Apple
8 Potential Replacements for Steve Jobs at Apple | Fast Company

An article well worth reading.
Sure it's all pure speculation at this point. But it gets you thinking who is really capable of taking over. And here are my 2¢ worth on the article.

Sure we all know Cook is the favourite to take over. But I think he has two things against him. One is age. And the second is drive. Sure he is good at what he does and would run the company like a 2nd Steve for a while. But eventually he'll have to go too. And I just can't see him sticking around too long after Steve is gone. But as an interim CEO for a few years or more till they get a permanent replacement he would excel at that.

Of the rest of the bunch of potential CEO candidates one name took me by surprise. Scott Forstall. He has age on his side. He seems to have that get up and go attitude which is always nice to see in someone of his age. Secondly as the article says he has full attention to detail. The article uses the pixel quote "I actually have a photographer's loupe that I use to make sure every pixel is right". That's the kind of attention to detail Apple needs on the designers table and on the manufacturing floor. And he seems to have that. Plus he knows OS X and iOS very well. Which is a plus. And he has Ive for the hardware design. And on stage he seems to have a nice presence. I still think Phil Schiller would be best suited to the main keynote speakers role. But if Forstall got that job as next permanent CEO I'd be ok wit that.

So if you only go off that list of 8 people. I would say no one can replace Steve's negotiating skills with other companies. But I think Apple will get by but in a different style. And I think the interim CEO should be Cook with Steve as advisor to groom Scott Forstall in a few years as CEO. And that's it. No changing CEO every few years. I think Forstall has more full time CEO potential then the rest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
What about Steve Ballmer? HAHAHA!! J/K! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I realize that nothing stays the same I just hope Job's gets better and comes back and hands the reigns over when he is ready and not do to medical reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I didnt want to read that article . . . . .

Dont want Steve to go anywhere :( :)

The blogs are all talking like he is *dead* already . . . . .

News flash.

HE ISNT

EDIT : Tony Fadell would be my choice . . . .

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree wholeheartedly with the8thark. And as far as Steve himself... well, if you're sick the way he is, it may be best for him to take a back role similar to the way Bill Gates is at MS. Still around, but not a every day presence.

We really don't know the complete extent of Steve's illness but after having undergone a liver transplant and continuing treatment for Cancer, you can well imagine that he is very sick man. Long term survival for Cancer patients is greater than it was 10 years ago, so all we can do is hope and pray for the best for Steve and his family.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm not sure that anyone of us can clearly say who would be the best, but I will say that I don't think the board should pick the new CEO, it should be Steve. And I also think Steve should become the new CEO's sidekick for mentoring.

With that said, I don't think Apple is ready for a new CEO yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
What they need is two people to replace him, one to run the show, one for stevenotes. Woz could do the second...:), I think Eric could do it too.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
With that said, I don't think Apple is ready for a new CEO yet.

I agree. But if something happens out of the blue and there has to be a new CEO, ready or not it'll have to happen. So best to get ready for that possibility. It will happen. The only thing we do not know is when.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Personally I wish Jobs would just go ahead and retire. It's gonna happen sooner or later, and I'd really like to see what a suitable replacement will do for the company. I like OS X and my iDevices, but they are also hobbled in a few ways that I doubt will ever change so long as he is in charge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.