Apple 56k v.92 Modem errors with Telus ISP

M

macguy.nielsen

I have been having lots of problems with the v.92. I have to slow my modem down to v.34 (28.8Kps) so that I can connect to the internet. If anyone knows anything that may help this would be appreciated.

And no I cannot fix the problem by swtiching to high speed/cable, we cannot get high speed out here where I live.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
macguy.nielsen said:
I have been having lots of problems with the v.92. I have to slow my modem down to v.34 (28.8Kps) so that I can connect to the internet. If anyone knows anything that may help this would be appreciated.

And no I cannot fix the problem by swtiching to high speed/cable, we cannot get high speed out here where I live.

I have had that problem with different ISP's and different modems over the years. Have you tried any other computers there with that same phone line to that same ISP? Could you get a better connect with the other system? Here the little I use Dialup, my Mac Mini gets a solid 53k connect everytime. I have not really tested the modem in the mini anywhere but here to see how it handles bad phone lines and such. With a decent modem which in my opinion the Mini's is, problems like that are usually due to phone line issues and being far from the ISP's modem bank.

OP
M

macguy.nielsen

I understand that it has to do with phone line noise, and have also heard there are codes to use called INIT strings that help navigate around the noise. If anyone knows how to use them with an Apple computer that would be great news.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.