Runing windows software on a macbook ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipad 3g 64gb, Iphone 4, MBP 15 i7, Hi-Res A/Glare, 512mb Grafix, 500Gb 7200rpm Drive, 8Gb Ram
I have just purchased a Macbook with decent spec and am wondering if I can safely run windows based software on it.
I have a few pieces of software based on the automotive ecu software sector and it runs well on a pc but it is processor intensive and burns them out within 6 months to the point they run so slow I end up giving them away to my kids school.
Problem is, I have lots of files within this software and have to reload them one by one taking ages.

The software itself has a security key (usb) which enables the software to open on the pc so my question is, if I had windows on mac software wouldit act just like a pc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yes, if you load Windows on your Mac it will work the same as your Windows computer. If you're doing something that is resources-intensive (uses lots of CPU/RAM), you will want to load it through Bootcamp (app that comes with your Mac).
If it's something quick and simple like MS Office or some other software that isn't a resource hog, you could go through a Virtual Machine like Parallels or Fusion. This allows you to open "Windows" while running your Mac OS as if it was another app. You don't have to re-boot like you would with Bootcamp.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The software itself has a security key (usb) which enables the software to open on the pc so my question is, if I had windows on mac software wouldit act just like a pc?

Having to use a USB security dongle is probably going to require that Windows be installed to a separate partition using the Boot Camp assistant. Trying to run that software from a VM may not work because of the security key.

You can give it a try if you wish, but Parallels or Fusion is going to cost you $$ to buy along with needing a legal copy of Windows. VirtualBox from Oracle is free but not as robust as the other two. I would suggest trying VB if you wish to go the VM route.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipad 3g 64gb, Iphone 4, MBP 15 i7, Hi-Res A/Glare, 512mb Grafix, 500Gb 7200rpm Drive, 8Gb Ram
Thanks for the replies.
The money isnt an issue, the major point is reliability, its a work tool so I can claim it back :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
I actually think the USB dongle will work fine through a VM. Since other USB peripherals are pretty much compatible, all the app is doing is making a call to the driver services to access the port, sends in a little value, return a hash and confirms.

I'm almost positive someone from another board was running HPTuners through a VM under OSX. If you're not familiar it's a tuning solution for several different models, I had it for my Z06, and it uses a USB interface to communicate to the OBD-II port.

Reaction score
hi. i have a macbook white one. is this post about using a usb dongle and parallels vm. cos thats wot i do. i havw win7 running on paralells alongside my mac osx. if it is all u do is connect through mac osx and the vm shares the connection...simple...if u can read this post then it is working fine....parallels 6....t mobile dongle....all is good...hope this helps....

Reaction score
ps....using the same dongle under bootcamp also works fine...it just auto connects under its own software and works without a hitch...just a standard dongle from pc world....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A T-Mobile dongle is not the same as a security dongle which much supply the correct hash or the application will not work. Some dongles will work in a virtualization environment while others won't. It depends on the particular software being used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
Yeah, I wish I still had my HPTuners setup, I'd give it a try just for hoots (even though I don't think that's the system the OP is using).

Actually OP, tell us more about the ECU software :) I'm a car nut and have done a bit of my own tuning, own a couple of diag/scan tools, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.