• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Verizon confirms iPhone will get $30 unlimited data plan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds good up front but the article from the WSJ leads me to believe that the unlimited data plan is more of a drawing card than anything else. Knowing how Verizon operates (they're my ISP and cable provider) it won't be long IMO before they jack up the rates.

We started out 5 years ago subscribing to Verizon FIOS internet and FIOS TV. Both were a bargain at the time, however, over the 5 year span they've raised rates three times. I even dropped our home phone with them to save $ but wind up still paying upward of over $100 /month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Verizon exec says unlimited iPhone data plans available for a limited time
AppleInsider | Verizon exec says unlimited iPhone data plans available for a limited time
After it was revealed that the company's $30-per-month unlimited data plan will be the only option for iPhone 4 users on Verizon, the carrier's chief operating officer said that the company still intends to phase out its unlimited plan and moved to a tiered pricing structure in the future.

Verizon will offer only $30 unlimited data plan for iPhone 4 users
AppleInsider | Verizon will offer only $30 unlimited data plan for iPhone 4 users
A leaked memo from Verizon shows that the carrier will no longer offer its entry-level capped data plan smartphones, requiring new iPhone 4 customers to buy the $30-per-month unlimited offering.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, that makes more sense. Verizon knows very well that iPhone users are going to utilize their 3G and 4G networks more than other smart phone subscribers. I can hardly wait to see what their tier rates are going to be. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
With the iPhone on two carriers, I'll be looking at "lifetime cost" a bit more closely. I wonder if, after the dust settles in July or August, there will be any meaningful difference in cost between the two providers?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I wonder if, after the dust settles in July or August, there will be any meaningful difference in cost between the two providers?

This is the key issue. These two guys (AT&T and Verizon) most likely aren't going to get into a "price war"...since if they did...both companies would probably walk away pretty "bruised & banged-up"!

I think that both plans will either be very similar (price & features)...or each plan will have 1 or 2 "standout" features that the other guys plan doesn't...and that is what will draw someone to one plan or the other.

Its just like the airline industry where there really are only a "handful of players". What one airline does...most of the others quickly follow (fees, rates, etc.).

But overall...the plans will probably be better than when AT&T was the only option!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Is it just me, or does it seem like Verizon's iPhone plans are gouging new customers? Did you see those prices?? $20 for a 2gb wifi connection on the iphone???(not that others are much cheaper though) NO THANKS! I honestly think you would have to be somewhat dumb to pay that! ATT is now going back to unlimited plans...lol.

This had a more detailed info(from apple's own site, which was taken down earlier),
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/26/verizon-iphone-listings-go-live-on-apples-site/

I'm only paying $30 for data, $10 or the line, and $15(split between 4 phones) for unlimited text. My total monthly price was actually $7.xx cheaper with the iphone4 than the 3G(from another upgrade/renew discount). This after an att/work discount. I thought Verizon would at least try to undercut ATT, but it doesn't seem they even tried...maybe because of Verizon fans?

OP
MYmacROX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Is it just me, or does it seem like Verizon's iPhone plans are gouging new customers? Did you see those prices?? $20 for a 2gb wifi connection on the iphone???(not that others are much cheaper though) NO THANKS! I honestly think you would have to be somewhat dumb to pay that! ATT is now going back to unlimited plans...lol.

This had a more detailed info(from apple's own site, which was taken down earlier),
Verizon iPhone Listings Go Live on Apple's Site [Update: Removed] - Mac Rumors

I'm only paying $30 for data, $10 or the line, and $15(split between 4 phones) for unlimited text. My total monthly price was actually $7.xx cheaper with the iphone4 than the 3G(from another upgrade/renew discount). This after an att/work discount. I thought Verizon would at least try to undercut ATT, but it doesn't seem they even tried...maybe because of Verizon fans?

I don't think any major carrier has a very "fair" deal...

The AT&T unlimited deal they are offering is only for people who used to have it, then switched to one of their other offerings. I'm new to AT&T and the possibility of unlimited (5Gb) data makes me think I might have been better off waiting for that VZW iPhone. I'm just saying $30 for 5GB is more enticing than $15 for 250mb. Ya know? :$

C

chas_m

Just for comparison purposes: $20 for 2GB of data is a good deal to almost anyone in Canada. We generally pay a lot more for cellular data than that.

Very occasionally the providers here offer a 6GB/$30 a month deal, and signup lasts for only a limited time, but it continues for as long as you keep paying.

Study after study shows that MOST people using cell data on a smartphone use well below 2GB on average. It's only a tiny minority of supernerds (hi!) that need more than that, so honestly I have to say I think Verizon's offer is in line with the norm, maybe even a bit on the generous side from our perspective up here. And don't even get me started on what providers up here charge for overage or accidental roaming ... believe me I already know US customers get a MUCH better deal on that front ... not to mention only two years on contracts ...

Bottom line: it could be worse, Americans. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
I have the "unlimited" data plan from Verizon on my BB - $29.95/mo for the last 27 months. Best coverage, I was on a cruise in Alaska and still had a signal and was Googling info on the wildlife the guide was attempting to describe. My travel mates with AT&T and other carriers were all "dead".

Plus they give a 15% military discount.

But I'm keeping my BB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp
Yea, I have AT&T, cannot even get a signal 10 minutes from my house! :)
Verizon is good, but... just mobile phone good.
For TV an internet... comcast!
IMO
nicecrew

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Verizon FIOS is great, probably the best internet service and TV cable that I have ever had. Pricing is not great though. I'm waiting to see what their bundle price is going to be for including an iPhone with my TV cable and internet services.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I have to respectfully disagree. No one likes a pig, and I see no reason for my access to be impacted because someone else is tethered and downloading a movie to their laptop. The other user can still download his movie - it will just take longer and the rest of us still have access to the network as well. Unless they kick bandwidth hogs to some discrete segregated cellular network, we all have to share it. From what I've seen in my contract, my plan basically uses complicated terms to define the amount of data I can receive, and not the speed with which I am entitled to access it. How would you handle the situation? Even if you bump the hogs' monthly fees through the roof, you still have them on the same network as less voracious users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have to respectfully disagree.

Morally I agree with you 100%. The bandwith hogs should be throttled to ensure everyone else has some bandwith too.

But on the other hand what if you are in that 5%. You would not be getting the service you payed for. They would say "why should I be penalised for using more of an "unlimited" service then someone else? Why call it unlimited then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
While the unlimited data plan is a good deal, $20/month for a 2Gb Hot-Spot sharing plan doesn't seem to be anything special, nor does the $20/Gb for anything over 2Gb limit on the hot-Spot plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Morally I agree with you 100%. The bandwith hogs should be throttled to ensure everyone else has some bandwith too.

But on the other hand what if you are in that 5%. You would not be getting the service you payed for. They would say "why should I be penalised for using more of an "unlimited" service then someone else? Why call it unlimited then?

They are not being penalized. They get their unlimited data. The speed with with that monthly allotment of unlimited data is arriving to the customer is just decreased so that everyone else can get their unlimited data. Personally, I find the term "unlimited" to be the big culprit here. If there are 30 days in a month, and you can theoretically open the pipe entirely all day long and download x (amount) of data per hour, then the maximum data would be 30 times 24 times x = y (total). That's limited by definition by the speed of the network and the user's hardware. So, if a plan stated you were entitled to y data and the throttling had a practical impact on that total, I'm be upset. We know that people can't download that much data, and more than they can download an "unlimited" amount of data. So, in this scenario or throttling, we are really taking about "degrees of screwed" or "degrees of deceived" rather than anything finite or practically measurable.
Again, if unlimited data actually means 5GB or 20GB or 20TB of data, and the slow pipes impacted an actual attempt to complete that amount of transfer, I'd be upset. I don't see that this is the case however. I think unlimited actually means (according to the fine print) something like ~10GB on their LTE network, and I'm pretty sure someone could download much more than that every month, even with intermittent throttling. One test had a phone download 10GB in about 32 minutes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have to respectfully disagree. No one likes a pig, and I see no reason for my access to be impacted because someone else is tethered and downloading a movie to their laptop. The other user can still download his movie - it will just take longer and the rest of us still have access to the network as well. Unless they kick bandwidth hogs to some discrete segregated cellular network, we all have to share it. From what I've seen in my contract, my plan basically uses complicated terms to define the amount of data I can receive, and not the speed with which I am entitled to access it. How would you handle the situation? Even if you bump the hogs' monthly fees through the roof, you still have them on the same network as less voracious users.

I have to respectfully disagree with that, and think that's complete bs...to be honest! You are paying your bill for 3g speeds at the same price plan, with unlimited data, as anyone else. To have this be active, while paying the same price, is not right! Why penalize someone who actually uses their phone the in a way THAT IT WAS MEANT TO BE USED? Just because someone doesn't use their phone to it's potential, as in cases where they claim that the majority of iphone users use less then 500mb of data, for an "UNLIMITED" data plan, doesn't put the person who is ACTUALLY using it the way it was designed to be used.

That's like paying for unlimited internet, and getting penalized by speed if you use it too much! I don't "download movies," or have my iphone jben, but I managed to use up 14gbs of data on my phone...because I ACTUALLY use it!

Though, I'm not sure how the unlimited part works from from verizon compared to att.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That's like paying for unlimited internet, and getting penalized by speed if you use it too much! I don't "download movies," or have my iphone jben, but I managed to use up 14gbs of data on my phone...because I ACTUALLY use it!

There are multiple ISPs out there that do just that. I believe COMCAST Cable has been throttling for the past several years and I know Time Warner will do so based on data usage as well. The pipe, any pipe, is only so big and lots of users have to share it. You are paying to use it but those who use it more will always have to pay more, it's the law of supply and demand. It's their pipe, be it TWC or VZW and they can charge you based on usage wether you like it or not. What you consider "reasonable" others may not and in the end the owner of the pipe gets to decide what reasonable is. You can whine about it, but there is not much you can do about it in the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
there is not much you can do about it in the end.

Thank you for stating the obvious...even though I'm not near the area of their restriction.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.