Can't install my HP printer on my iMac

Reaction score
Hi there,

Got my iMac recently and a free printer with it, the HP Officejet C4500. I am trying to install it through a USB cable and when I get to the end of the installation and it asks me to Set up the printer I get a blank window where I should be seeing the printer icon to select it. Then a warning window pops up and says that if my printer doesn't appear on the list I might have the wrong driver (this is the cd that comes with the printer!). Just in case, I went to hp support web and downloaded the most recent version of the driver for the printer and when trying to install it I got to the same point!!!

Even in desperation, I tried to install my old Hp printer following the same procedures (the drivers are very similar and also I got the most updated version of this online...) and same thing again!!!

Help!!! I have been trying this for days now..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Have you tried a different USB cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's worth a try if only to prove that's not the problem

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, and this might sound basic.... you need to turn the printer on in order for it to be seen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And go into Systems Preferences > Print and Fax and see if the printer is shown. If nopt hit the + button and see if it comes up available.

Reaction score
re: HP installation

I recently began to "install" my older HP which I'd connected to my iMac and turned on. I searched the HP site for the drivers but couldn't find them. Then, for some reason, I hit command P and there it was, already intuitively connected and ready to go!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.