I-Mac G3 to Panther

G

Gua5d1aN

Ive been given a i-mac g3 with a blank HD, is it possible to install panther striaght.

OP
B

Badger

Even the original iMac is capable of running OS X up to Panther if it has enough RAM and HD space. You should go to the iMac section of Low End Mac and check for the specific model you have: www.lowendmac.com. They even have tips for installing X on these machines. Apple claims that 128 mg of RAM is necessary to install Panther but you'll really need at least 256 if you want reasonable performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I don't know, I run Panther on a 366Mhz iBook G3 w. 128 mb ram, and it runs fine. I can only have about 4 small programs open, and it's a little choppy, but very usable.

I just installed Tiger on two B&W Powermac G3s, and a Powermac G4, runs great (although all of those had 512mb+).

You can install directly, but I thought there was something with one one the imacs, where firmware or something had to be updated first. idk though, I don't have any iMacs.

I do know for Tiger, the earliest compatible iMac is the slotloading iMac. But that's because Tiger requires a firewire connection. (I was quite amazed, Tiger actually sped up the mac by 30-50%.

I found these minimum requirements for Panther: Power Mac G3, G4 or G5
Built-in USB
iBook computer with 128 MB of physical RAM
iMac
eMac
PowerBook G3 or G4
Video conferencing requires a 600 MHz or faster PowerPC G3, a PowerPC G4, or a PowerPC G5 processor; broadband Internet access (100 Kbps or faster); and a compatible FireWire DV camera or web camera
Internet access requires a compatible service provider; iDisk requires a .Mac account; fees may apply

OP
T

TonyJ

I would install OS 9 first, because you have to make sure you have the latest iMac firmware before upgrading to OS X or you will end up with a blank screen. I just repaired a Mac with this issue a few weeks ago. Once you've got it running with 9 and can verify the firmware is current, then you can evaluate the disk space you have and make sure you have enough ram to go to Panther. The iMac I worked on ran Panther quite well once it was fixed up. You'll want to check lowendmac.com for the firmware requirements for OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb
(replying for Gua5d1an)
yeah its a slot loading 500MHZ with fire wire , usb etc. i want to put 768 ram in it does any one know where i can cheap ram for this machine (SDRAM 100)

I will run panther and if it runs ok ill go to tiger
thanks every 1

OP
B

Badger

With that machine and that much RAM you'll be able to run Panther without a problem. As noted above, be sure - absolutely sure - that the firmware is updated before you even put an OS X CD in it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.