My MacBook's really slow...

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post, hope you can help me out.

I have a white MacBook. Bought it Dec 2009, so it's the new model.

For the past few months, it's really slowed down, I'm seeing the spinning beach ball allot more, and I'm talking about simple tasks, like word processing... copying text, and the ball appears, it's like being back in the late 90's on Windows!

I'm not running a huge amount of programmes, and I've about 20gb hard drive space left. My thrash bin is empty.

What can I do? I'd rather not have to boot disc the whole laptop, as I'd have to re install all my software...

What are my options?

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Well, 20GB HD space is pretty much running on the bare minimum, so I'm not surprised that you are seeing the spinning beach ball constantly.
I recommend freeing up as much HD space as you can, and then running OnyX to do a bit of a system clean up.

Be sure to get the download the version for the OS you are using.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

Once you have it, and it has verified your HD, use the automation tab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" Unibody, 2.4ghz, 2gb Ram, 250GB HD
pale seven two monday

Agreed, having very minimum hard drive space can greatly slow down your machine. It's best to store all big files on an external HD and free up as much space as you can in your puter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.