How To Increase Fan RPM on Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a recent mac convert having purchased a 13" macbook pro two weeks ago this evening. Two of the first things I noticed when using my new computer was how quiet it was, and how warm it got when doing anything more strenuous than simple web browsing and word processing. In light of that, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good freeware program that would allow me to manually adjust the fan speed on my mac. I would much rather have a louder, cooler machine than a quieter, hotter one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Well, there is a member here that is very against screwing around with your fans and I tend to agree with him that your MBP was designed to handle heat without your help.

But since your gonna find a way to do this anyway,
Lobotomo Software: FanControl

And if you ever need to uninstall it, that same page has uninstallation instructions that need to be followed to the letter to get rid off it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Well, there is a member here that is very against screwing around with your fans and I tend to agree with him that your MBP was designed to handle heat without your help.

But since your gonna find a way to do this anyway,
Lobotomo Software: FanControl

And if you ever need to uninstall it, that same page has uninstallation instructions that need to be followed to the letter to get rid off it.

I'm with McYukon and the anonymous member on this one.
The Apple engineers know what they're doing.....
If you got a Ferrari, would you want to alter the way the engine is tuned?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello All,

I am a recent mac convert having purchased a 13" macbook pro two weeks ago this evening. Two of the first things I noticed when using my new computer was how quiet it was, and how warm it got when doing anything more strenuous than simple web browsing and word processing. In light of that, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good freeware program that would allow me to manually adjust the fan speed on my mac. I would much rather have a louder, cooler machine than a quieter, hotter one.

Usually folks are "complaining" that their MacBooks are running too hot...and generally speaking in these cases their Mac's fans are probably already running at 100%. They also are looking for a fan control program...but if their fans are already at 100%...not much to adjust.

Other folks do prefer a more quiet computer...and don't want or like the fans "roaring" away if not necessary.

In your case you say that your MBP is getting "warm"...and you want to keep it cooler by getting a program that will allow you to manually adjust the fan speed to cool your Mac better & run cooler...and you don't mind the extra noise. I'm just saying this is sort of a different approach than most people are concerned about....since they prefer "peace & quiet".:)

The only additional though I would add is. If your fans are not very loud (or if you can even hear them at all)...and you feel that your Mac is "warm"...believe me...you haven't seen anything yet!!! If your fans are not loud...then your Mac is NOT hot at all. Your computers cpu and/or gpu are probably in the 50's°C which is nothing. If you were to start doing some gaming or watching You Tube videos...those temps would shoot up into the 70's°C or 80's°C...your fans would be "roaring away at 100%"...and the laptop might even be burning your legs (or at least making them really sweaty).;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipad 3g 64gb, Iphone 4, MBP 15 i7, Hi-Res A/Glare, 512mb Grafix, 500Gb 7200rpm Drive, 8Gb Ram
I'm with McYukon and the anonymous member on this one.
The Apple engineers know what they're doing.....
If you got a Ferrari, would you want to alter the way the engine is tuned?

This is what I do for a living so the answer is yes :)
Having said that, im new to mac so I wouldnt mess with my fan.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Messing with the fan speeds is just going to wear out your fans faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.