• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Internet Kill Switch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Renewed Push to Give Obama an Internet "Kill Switch" - Tech Talk - CBS News

Internet 'kill switch' bill will return | Privacy Inc. - CNET News

Joe Lieberman and Susan Collins have reintroduced the internet kill switch bill with a new wrinkle . . . no judicial review allowed.

The revised version includes new language saying that the federal government's designation of vital Internet or other computer systems "shall not be subject to judicial review." Another addition expanded the definition of critical infrastructure to include "provider of information technology," and a third authorized the submission of "classified" reports on security vulnerabilities.

Don't know about you, but this makes me a bit uncomfortable. The aftermath of the Iranian elections and how they were handled springs to mind. I'm not sure I recall when we decided the interruption of what might be argued to be basic services without any recourse to judicial review was a good thing. Fifth amendment protections apparently do not apply for internet access.

The articles go on to say that the head of the DHS (that's Janet Napolitano) will have final say-so in any dispute over termination of internet access. Her decision is final and courts are explicitly prohibited from reviewing it. From what I understand, all critical systems, like nuclear power plants, the entire electrical grid, air traffic control, etc. are completely isolated from the internet. They use (or should be using) insular systems. What would be the purpose of this if that is the case?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Haha! For some reason it reminds me of the episode of The IT Crowd when they trick their boss into thinking the internet is this little black box.
Sorry, that's way off topic but it made me laugh anyways.
Back on topic... the purpose (OBVIOUSLY) is to put an end to any celebrity Twitter wars if they get out of hand (Kanye West, I'm looking at YOU). ;)

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
When things get ' tricky ', one of the most common approaches is to reduce the capability for people to communicate.
The internet is one of them and mobile phones is the other.
Shut that down and ' the enemy ' will be seriously crippled.
You can then buy yourself a bit of time to deploy your ' response '

Not that I support any of this, but it is a fact and you will see more and more of this.
( in certain countries )

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The crisis in Egypt is a prime example of why an Internet kill switch is a BAD idea. I imagine that even if this gets passed, it won't mass muster in the courts (it's clearly a violation of our First and Fifth Amendment rights).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Shut that down and ' the enemy ' will be seriously crippled.
But when the enemy is your own people and country? That's just sad. It seems this is something a dictator or government with a similar hatred would do.

My best friend comes from this country. I'd be worried if she ever goes back their for a few days or so anytime in the near future. This is really not good at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
OMG!! What on earth will humanity do without internet!?!?! LOL. I know what I'll be doing...taking a long, REAL nap!

Reaction score
OMG!! What on earth will humanity do without internet!?!?! LOL. I know what I'll be doing...taking a long, REAL nap!

Sounds like a good idea. I'll dream of a day when the internet returns. Bahahaha! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 3GS & iPhone4 Factory Unlocked.
I will have to move out of this country itf that happened. Very stupid idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
But when the enemy is your own people and country? That's just sad. It seems this is something a dictator or government with a similar hatred would do.

My best friend comes from this country. I'd be worried if she ever goes back their for a few days or so anytime in the near future. This is really not good at all.

You are right ... If you have to use these draconian measures against your own people that is very sad. Violence hasn't solved anything in history, you can only try to minimise the damage.

I spend a lot of time in Cairo for work and i like the people a lot, ... It took me some months to understand the culture and how the community works.

What's happening there right now is not good and is actually a feeding ground for neighboring countries ... Look at what is happening in Algeria and Tunesia as well.

Sad, very sad indeed.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As for Egyptian events in particular, I guess the take away for me is that:
-Living in a densely populated urban area during one of these would suck beyond words. Glad I live on the fringe of my area's population center.
-Having spare food and water on hand is nice, so one can stay home with loved ones instead of fighting for necessities.
-Neighborhood watch... without a cohesive perimeter and coordinated fire zones, your neighborhood is toast when 1000 looters come rolling down the street armed with gasoline and rocks.
-America will roll over on historical strategic allies in a second, if sticking with them makes us look bad in the now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And to let you all know, my Egyptian friend said in Egypt, the phone lines are back on and she could call home. But now they have martial law, the military is roaming the streets and curfew in enforced there too now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I read there is now violence in Egypt. As the pro-government people (mostly non-uniflormed police paid to cause trouble) started attacking the peaceful protesters.

Prison break, looting, violence in Cairo as anti-government protests continue
Prison break, looting, violence in Cairo as anti-government protests continue | Herald Sun

I think the point is if you deny people their rights of free speech (through torture and the denial of: peaceful protesting, internet and phone networks) then this kind of this bound to happen. It's really sad, that so many people (over 100 so far) have to die to get change. I'm glad the people are standing up. The rest of the world allowed this abuse of power for 30 years. It's about time someone stood up for the citizens of the country. And gave them the freedoms they deserve.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The rest of the world allowed this abuse of power for 30 years. It's about time someone stood up for the citizens of the country. And gave them the freedoms they deserve.

I'm sure that when the Muslim Brotherhood finally realizes the full weight of State power and fulfills their stated goal of instilling the Qur'an and Sunnah as the "sole reference point for ... ordering the life of the Muslim family, individual, community ... and state" there will be freedoms-a-plenty for all, even the Dhimmis.

Anyhow, I think we learned our lesson in Iraq - stay out and let the chips fall where they may. The Middle East is not our business and the USA is not the World Police even though we seem to want to be. I see no reason to do anything other than kick back and see what shakes loose unless we fall into a state of energy blackmail again as when Egypt nationalized the Suez canal in 1956, or if the M1 tanks we sold Egypt start rolling around Sinai and Gaza as they did in 1967 and 1973.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I agree. And that should stretch to the 1.5 billion the US is giving in aid to Egypt each year. They practically helped to fun this corrupt regime for many many years. Stay out. But the other side is it's hard to sit back and watch a corrupt government do these things to their own people. We want to get out and help them.

And about Iraq. Is the US did not hang out the Iraq people to dry after the first Iraq war then there would have been no need for a 2nd Iraq war. I think the lesson learnt is leave them to fix their own issues. And only step in if the people can't stand up for themselves. And at the moment the Egyptian people are making themselves heard.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A textbook coup d'etat by Junta appears to be going on right now. Military is running things now through the VP proxy. Mubarek stays on to keep commerce going internationally until the government solidifies. Say, who did their military put in charge last time there was an uprising?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.