Customizing Sounds

E

EightmanVT

I've been reading so much since I got my new MBP - I'm seriously considering an appt with the eye doctor. So much I don't know ...and I've only scratched the surface. Here's an easy one - how do I customize certain sounds. For instance - I found how to change the generic alert sound (in Library\Sounds - although I was surprised not to see any files in that folder already - are they hidden?) - and I see how to change sounds in certain apps - like Mail. What started this particular quest is I don't like the sound made when I change the volume using the keyboard. I know I can eliminate it altogether but I'd like to actually change it. How do I go about that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I found how to change the generic alert sound (in Library\Sounds - although I was surprised not to see any files in that folder already - are they hidden?
They are located in /system/library/sounds

You will need to convert the sound to .aiff

Switch (Mac) - Download

OP
E

EightmanVT

They are located in /system/library/sounds

You will need to convert the sound to .aiff

Switch (Mac) - Download

Yes - Sorry. I should have mentioned that I had learned that they needed to be converted to .aiff as welll. What I can't find is where to assign the sounds for something like the volume change "pop"...for lack of a better term. I can find the general alert - but looking for additional tailoring. Relatively trivial - I know - but im just learning to get around my Mac - and this already has me stumped. Thanks for steering me to the system folder. Can anyone tell me how to make the assignment? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
There terminal, but I wouldn't go there unless you know your way around terminal.
Replace the volume changing sound | Software | Mac OS X Hints | Macworld

I can't locate the setting in the system folder directing the volume up down feedback to the sound, but since it is the frog sound, I wonder if replacing frog.aiff with a sound that you created would do it.

Before messing around, I strongly suggest backing up onto an external drive, and be sure that you have your install discs handy! :)

OP
E

EightmanVT

There terminal, but I wouldn't go there unless you know your way around terminal.
Replace the volume changing sound | Software | Mac OS X Hints | Macworld

I can't locate the setting in the system folder directing the volume up down feedback to the sound, but since it is the frog sound, I wonder if replacing frog.aiff with a sound that you created would do it.

Before messing around, I strongly suggest backing up onto an external drive, and be sure that you have your install discs handy! :)

Perfect!! Thanks! No - I certainly don't know my away around terminal - not by a long shot. I had a brief venture into Linux back while I was in school - but at that time Linux had drivers for approximately nothing - so I found that my dual boot - which took about 3 hours to install - ended up never being used - so I have only the most limited experience using unix type commands. I will definitely take your suggestions of ensuring I've backed everything up before I start poking around. Right now - I'm enjoying having a computer that works - and just feels rock solid. My last weekend burnt rescuing my Vista desktop was the final straw - so here I am. Thanks for the help and link.
Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.